I'm getting smoked out!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

recppd

Aug 30, 2006
North Shore, MA
I'm hoping this is an easy fix, but so far no remedy has come to mind...

For the past 3-4 days my Jotul Kennebec insert has been burning like crap and I'm getting a roomful of smoke when I open the door to reload. When I get a good fire going and open the door I not only get smoke, but I get flames shooting out the front! This has NEVER happened in the 3 years I've owned the insert. It got to the point where I removed the baffle last night and re-gasketed everything, but it did no good. Basically, the draft has diminished greatly and I can't figure out why. I'm not sure if its a barometric pressure issue, or a dirty liner, or what, but it's not getting any better. I did clean the liner at the beginning of the season and have only burned about 1 - 1.5 cords this year. I thought it might be the wood causing the problem, so I burned some left over compressed logs and still get the same problem. And yes, I have tried opening windows and still get the same results.

Any suggestions?

Our #1 call about smoking coming from a stove that HAS been working great is that the Screen in your chimney cap is pluged.
But we are in califorina and by law we have a small screen 5/8" on every wood stove and fireplace.

I think you might be on to something there. I'll have to get the ladder out tomorrow and look. As of right now, I can see smoke coming out, but not very briskly. Even with the air wide open now, the fire looks like its been dampered down.

Definately check your stack screen, several posters here lately including myself have had plugged screens.

T

How plugged does the screen get before noticing issues? What is the preferred method for removing the buildup? I just added a liner/raincap with a screen a couple days ago and was warned that the screen would be my most likely culprit if anything slows down.

Mine progressively got worse over about a 30 day period until it was completely plugged. I had to remove the entire cap and wire brush it out. I also removed every other screen separator to enlarge the holes from 1/4" to about a 1/2" x 1" and have had no problems as of yet.

T

With the warm weather around here, the birds and squirrels have been doing a lot of very spring like things... I actually heard a robin the other day.

You might have a critter problem with your cap. I guess you'll figure that out when you pull out the ladder

-Dan

Clean your chimney and brush off your cap.
I'd been having less draft lately as well. Although not as bad as what you are describing. Today I swept my chimney, cleaned the cap and the stovepipe, thimble area, etc... and it made a noticable difference as I regained the strong draft that I'm used to.
All is well again...so clean your flu!!

Well, I've found the culprit! A seriously clogged cap!!! And when I mean clogged, I mean clogged...

Up until this past year I have been burning compressed logs, and have never had more than a cupfull of creosote when I cleaned the flu. NEVER has the cap been clogged, either. Well, this year I decided to burn cordwood. Even though it's pretty dry stuff, it obviously took its toll on my liner/chimney cap. I couldn't believe what I saw when I climbed that ladder today! I mean, 1/2" thick pieces stuck to the sides of the cap! I only hope that the lower portions of the liner, which is insulated, doesn't look as bad!!! I cleaned the screen and could immediately feel a rush of warm air from last nights burn rush out the top. Tomorrow I plan on doing a serious scrub on the liner!!!

Thanks to all that replied...

recppd said:
Well, I've found the culprit! A seriously clogged cap!!! And when I mean clogged, I mean clogged...

Up until this past year I have been burning compressed logs, and have never had more than a cupfull of creosote when I cleaned the flu. NEVER has the cap been clogged, either. Well, this year I decided to burn cordwood. Even though it's pretty dry stuff, it obviously took its toll on my liner/chimney cap. I couldn't believe what I saw when I climbed that ladder today! I mean, 1/2" thick pieces stuck to the sides of the cap! I only hope that the lower portions of the liner, which is insulated, doesn't look as bad!!! I cleaned the screen and could immediately feel a rush of warm air from last nights burn rush out the top. Tomorrow I plan on doing a serious scrub on the liner!!!

Thanks to all that replied...

Not A poke at you but I just can not figure out why we get so many calls (10 a month) from people that say their wood stove is not burning right and smoke is coming out. Why dont they think of the cap? We try to Tell them when we install the stove to check the cap once a month.
It is just the same as closing off a damper.

Not A poke at you but I just can not figure out why we get so many calls (10 a month) from people that say their wood stove is not burning right and smoke is coming out. Why dont they think of the cap? We try to Tell them when we install the stove to check the cap once a month.

Poke me all you want, as I never thought to check the cap! Out of sight, out of mind...

As I said in my last post, I've NEVER had draft problems over the past 3 seasons, and I guess I can now attribute that to burning compressed logs (very little moisture) vs. cordwood. Apparently, cordwood has A LOT of moisture and related cleaning obligations. At least you know that I will NEVER post this question again ;)

Thanks!

recppd said:

Poke me all you want, as I never thought to check the cap! Out of sight, out of mind...

As I said in my last post, I've NEVER had draft problems over the past 3 seasons, and I guess I can now attribute that to burning compressed logs (very little moisture) vs. cordwood. Apparently, cordwood has A LOT of moisture and related cleaning obligations. At least you know that I will NEVER post this question again ;)

Thanks!

It was a very good question.
That need to be on the forums
Just was an easy solution.

Have a warm nite :)

Webmaster said:
A couple days seems like a short time frame!

Tell us more about the install and when you do it, etc.

Sorry I missed this, it looks as though it was directed at me. I hadn't had a clogging problem but was warned by the cap installers to look out for it and that is why I asked what to look for and for your experiences.

I am now getting some smoke issues at reload after just about a month and also noticably more smoke in the box during startup which indicates slow draft I think. It is no big deal to pop up on the roof in the dark and inspect the cap. I'll have a screwdriver to poke with and my welding gloves just in case I need to pull the cap off. I had a screaming draft when the liner was new so I feel pretty confident that something has changed.

I can tell you one thing, if the screen is plugged after one month of good hot burning then that screen is going to go away.

its shouldnt plug with good burning habits, either your not burning as hot as you think you are or your wood is not seasoned enough. The most common culprit is turning the stove down to fast.

I may be guilty of a combination of those things MSG. The stove top rutland runs past 600 more than once per day and the exhaust is clear. The wood I am burning is scrounged seasoned wood mixed with purchased very seasoned wood so perhaps non-ideal. Mostly dough fir, alder, and madrona. The moisture meter says it is all less than 20 but it is a HF meter. I am curious about this shutting it down too fast. Do you mean closing the primary air in too big of steps like from 3/4 open to 1/4 open all at once. I do that. The primary air control mechanism on the Lopis is a disgrace.

I was on the roof within a week of the rain cap install and already noticed short black hair growing into the spark arrestor holes. I am very open to being told that I am a novice since really I am.

Thanks

if you shut the stove down before you have a established coal bed it will sometimes plug the cap. Im talking more about the timing of shutting it down, not the amount. I have plugged my cap on ocasion by shutting down the stove before it was ready.

I was up on the chimney this past weekend, cleaning out the cap. The last time I did this was about 45 days ago, and the result was the same - the holes in the Magnaflex cap were pretty much filled in. We run the stove at about 550 stovetop temperature, but it does get shut down overnight. I've got half a mind to get a remote barbecue thermometer and install it on the top of the chimney to see what 550 on the stove means at the top of the stack.

JotulOslo

Well, I cleaned my pipe and cap screen about a month or more ago.......my stove has been spilling smoke for no reason the past 3 or 4 days.

So I be it's time to clean the cap again. :ahhh:

I need to figure an easier way, this gets to be a pain for me. :)

Robbie

I got up and removed the cap last night. The cap has a decent sized ubrella and the umbrella had some hangy pieces of easily banged off cresoste. The mesh was partially filled but it didn't look too bad. I wire brushed the whole thing at ground level and put it back on. Pretty easy job.

The stove operation is noticeably better, stronger draft and less smoke when loading. My wood could be drier and I am guilty of shutting down the damper when the temps get to where I want them and not so much when the coal bed is ideal. I am starting to question whether 20% is really dry enough. Some of my best pieces were much lower.

I did notice that inside the liner I have gotten a decent layer of brownish fluffly creosote. I didn't expect it to be silver but there is definitely a layer. So I will likely be sweeping this chimney before the season is over.

Just got done with mine, cap was 80% clogged, pipe had about 1 qt. of fine creosote, not too bad except this means cap will need cleaning at least once a month.

My wood is well seasoned too.................

Robbie

Highbeam said:
I am starting to question whether 20% is really dry enough. Some of my best pieces were much lower.

I've got one of those HF moisture meters. It's good enough for me, but if I don't RE-split a piece of wood to expose a virgin surface, and test it there, the readings are way off.

I've also noticed that wood (oak in my case) at 15% burns much better than at 20%.

Anyone have a pic of these clogged caps?

When driving around I see lots of different styles....some seem very restrictive and more prone to clogging. Odd that with dry wood caps are clogging after 1-2 cords?

I would have taken a pic but it was raining into my liner, it was almost dark out, and the wife had plans for me so it was a rush job. I have the homesaver SS flex kit cap. Maybe I can find a photo. The mesh section is 6" diameter and about 8" tall with a pipe ring of solid metal offset from the mesh so that you can't visually inspect for claggage from the ground. The mesh is just big enough to stick a finger through but not a thumb, I've got pretty big paws.

All my wood gets split smaller before bringing in to the hearth so I get a fresh surface in which to stab the meter. I am going to go out on a limb and claim that 20% is not dry enough for efficienct clean burning of firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.