I'm glad I found out today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillsWS

Feeling the Heat
Dec 20, 2011
U.P. Michigan
Looks like I'll be moving my wood - its wet. I bought the wood last winter, it was a year old and garage kept. Now it is getting wet from fhe water that comes off my roof, hits my deck and leaks down underneath where my wood is stacked. I am glad I found out now instead of later. I will add a "roof" under the deck before I put the wood back for this winters use - one of those "should have done it first" situations.

Should be enough time for it to dry off. That's just surface wet.
Rained pretty hard here early this morning, and now the stacks are mostly dried after the sun and wind kicked in.:cool:

Should be enough time for it to dry off. That's just surface wet.
Rained pretty hard here early this morning, and now the stacks are mostly dried after the sun and wind kicked in.:cool:

Hey PapaDave, Truth be told, I don't mind doing the work. I won't cut wood till the first part of August when the tics thin out. This will give me a chance to play with some wood and clear under the deck so I can get the roof built.

I found a feed store in Mio that has Permethrin at half cost of online places for the ticks. I've mixed up a gallon so far and sprayed a pair of jeans and a shirt.
So far, no ticks and yet my sis-in-law just pulled one off her dog.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this works. I hate the little bastages.

Reactions: ScotO
I run in the woods almost every day and the forest where I run (Scotia Barrens in central PA near State College- PA State gamelands 176) is about as good a place to get a tick as I have ever found. The woods surrounding my yard are almost as good. I take a shower after running or working in the brushy parts of the yard, and that works almost all the time to get rid of ticks. Ticks are pretty easy to rinse off if you rinse them off in the first couple of hours after they hitch a ride. Once they dig in you can't just rinse them away, but it takes them a few hours to dig in.

I should add that I had Lyme disease this spring, and the doctor thinks I had it for years, so maybe you don't want to take my advice.

I run in the woods almost every day and the forest where I run (Scotia Barrens in central PA near State College- PA State gamelands 176) is about as good a place to get a tick as I have ever found. The woods surrounding my yard are almost as good. I take a shower after running or working in the brushy parts of the yard, and that works almost all the time to get rid of ticks. Ticks are pretty easy to rinse off if you rinse them off in the first couple of hours after they hitch a ride. Once they dig in you can't just rinse them away, but it takes them a few hours to dig in.

I should add that I had Lyme disease this spring, and the doctor thinks I had it for years, so maybe you don't want to take my advice.

wood duck -

same here. this spring the ticks were thicker than i ever remember. they seemed to have leveled off now...especially in the yard. for what its worth: this isn't practical for most situations but the most effective way to keep myself free of ticks is to wear shorts, no shirt...sandals or mocs. when you're wearing long clothing, you can't feel them crawling on you. with minimal clothing, i'm always able to feel them and pull 'em off.

however....then i'm mosquito food.

OT

wood duck -

same here. this spring the ticks were thicker than i ever remember. they seemed to have leveled off now...especially in the yard. for what its worth: this isn't practical for most situations but the most effective way to keep myself free of ticks is to wear shorts, no shirt...sandals or mocs. when you're wearing long clothing, you can't feel them crawling on you. with minimal clothing, i'm always able to feel them and pull 'em off.

however....then i'm mosquito food.

OT
They were terrible here in the spring, had six on me by May but havent had one since, Ive sprayed my yard and surrounding area twice with Bayer insect killer, someone here said it was the best for ticks and it does appear to do a good job. I had lyme last year too, hate the little bastages.

Well it's good you found it before burn season started.
Of course, we'll need pictures of the roof when it's built ;)

Well it's good you found it before burn season started.
Of course, we'll need pictures of the roof when it's built ;)
Some pics of the inside job.

Attachments

• DSCN0387.JPG
    DSCN0387.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCN0410.JPG
    DSCN0410.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCN0534.JPG
    DSCN0534.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 122
They were terrible here in the spring, had six on me by May but havent had one since, Ive sprayed my yard and surrounding area twice with Bayer insect killer, someone here said it was the best for ticks and it does appear to do a good job. I had lyme last year too, hate the little bastages.

They are far worse in the spring and fall here than they are in summer. I haven't had a tick on me for a couple of weeks. In July when we are backpacking with the Boy Scout troop for days at a time we usually don't see a single tick on any of us. In spring and fall it is a different story.

The ticks are horrible in the eastern UP too Bill. This is the first time I can remember having to dig one out. And I was finding one on me every day or two. I was starting to get paranoid and was stopping and doing a tick check every few hours.

I just hope the ticks are gone by the end of July. I usually go out the last weekend in July and they are pretty much gone.

Looks good. So, is it ready to light?
Hey Jeff. Waiting on a few more parts, then a trip up on the roof and I'll be there. The hole is in the upper floor ceiling - I can look up through it and see the top of the chase 11 ft. above.

Attachments

• DSCN0332.JPG
    DSCN0332.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 114
Back in my work in the office days a co-worker asked me to take her to pick up her car after work an hour later. About the time we needed to leave I started feeling a itch in my belly button. She came by and we headed to the garage and drove out. Itch was driving me crazy. About the time we got to the dealership I knew it had to be a tick. I would usually wait to see the person come out with their car. No way this time. I hauled out of that place and raced like crazy for an alley and started ripping my shirt out of my pants and digging. Got that sumbitch out and tossed it out the window.

Being in the woods doesn't end when you leave the woods. :mad:

So, what took so long to diagnose the lyme situation? What symptoms did you have? I know somebody that was treated for it and fully recovered however he has a relative that apparently will have life long effects of it.

I found a feed store in Mio that has Permethrin at half cost of online places for the ticks. I've mixed up a gallon so far and sprayed a pair of jeans and a shirt.
So far, no ticks and yet my sis-in-law just pulled one off her dog.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this works. I hate the little bastages.
There is a powder called Happy Jack that I swear by for the animals. Stuff it pretty safe, and effective.

Back in my work in the office days a co-worker asked me to take her to pick up her car after work an hour later. About the time we needed to leave I started feeling a itch in my belly button. She came by and we headed to the garage and drove out. Itch was driving me crazy. About the time we got to the dealership I knew it had to be a tick. I would usually wait to see the person come out with their car. No way this time. I hauled out of that place and raced like crazy for an alley and started ripping my shirt out of my pants and digging. Got that sumbitch out and tossed it out the window.

Being in the woods doesn't end when you leave the woods. :mad:

what...no pics? ==c

Status
Not open for further replies.