I'm gonna be a Okie pig

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty

Minister of Fire
Ok I broke down a few days ago and picked up a few bags of okefenokee pellets. Had to see for myself how they burned. I'm a convert. Nice heat, no fines in the bag, smell good, $269 a ton at local dealer. These will be our pellets next year no way I'm even trying anything else now.

Flame was literally white hot not dirty orange like the infernos and others we've tried. Big difference. Wife compared these to the Warm Fronts we had a few years ago.

glad you like them! we have had good luck with the Okies as well....yea, buy em now.

Although there shouldn't be an issue in gettting them later on in the season, The supply of the BC softies should be OK. I think you will see a good price increase once the spring sales are over. So I agree with franks and LW, Buy now and sit on them. That's what us pellet pigs do! :)

Wife commented on the nice smell. Even burning they smelled nice. I was being very critical of what I saw because some people here had reported less than favorable pellets this winter. Not even a teaspoon of sawdust in the bag. the difference in flame quality was so much better it was clearly noticeable. Literally a almost white flame...not dirty orange like what I been burning.

Ordering 3 tons today and probably another 3 next month.

Even though my favorites are still Turmans, I picked some Okies up for the end of the season and have really liked them. If I couldn't get my Turman, I'd pick up Okies for sure.

Salty said:
Ok I broke down a few days ago and picked up a few bags of okefenokee pellets. Had to see for myself how they burned. I'm a convert. Nice heat, no fines in the bag, smell good, $269 a ton at local dealer. These will be our pellets next year no way I'm even trying anything else now.

Flame was literally white hot not dirty orange like the infernos and others we've tried. Big difference. Wife compared these to the Warm Fronts we had a few years ago.

where in central mass are you? okies are currenlty $234/ton @ squire lumber in monson ma. this is where i've gotten okies the past 2 years. delivery to me just outside of worcester was a total of $75...

i'm about to order 5.2 tons.

uxbridge near ri border. monson is way west of me.

You will like them, just curious where they a clear bag or white?

Not sure if anybody else would now this but the white BAGS do have a date on them. If you hold the end up and look it is actually stamped and very hard to tell.

I was shocked that there was a date.

my guess is not cheap based on current diesel costs. I buy cedar from a guy out there for my business and he's gone up on his fuel surcharge again. ugh.

White bags Fish on.

Hey Fish On are you saltwater fishing?? I'm Salty's :)

ship_reck said:
okies are currenlty $234/ton @ squire lumber in monson ma. this is where i've gotten okies the past 2 years. delivery to me just outside of worcester was a total of $75...

i'm about to order 5.2 tons.
Good price, can you order 2 extra tons for me and FedX them to the west coast? :cheese:

Salty said:
my guess is not cheap based on current diesel costs. I buy cedar from a guy out there for my business and he's gone up on his fuel surcharge again. ugh.

White bags Fish on.

Salt all the way! I'm one of those people u see first light on some rock that you should not humanely be on with waves crashing over your head.

But it's worth it to me!

smoked stripers! yum!

both bags, clear and white (Okies) are out there these days, with the whites diminishing and the clears to be the future bags...same product, different container

LW sent me a picture of the new bags so I thought I would post it. Same old Okies but in new packaging.

Attachments

• Okies new.jpg
    Okies new.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 497
saltys.co is what I do 7 days a week

Picking up the first ton tomorrow!

Fish On said:
Salty said:

White bags Fish on.

Salt all the way! I'm one of those people u see first light on some rock that you should not humanely be on with waves crashing over your head.

But it's worth it to me!

j-takeman said:
LW sent me a picture of the new bags so I thought I would post it. Same old Okies but in new packaging.

Yup those are the bags, it's funny they say platium on the front. I think I read that super preium you want see on the bags anymore?

Anybody know of any Oakie dealers in New Hampshire?
Can't seem to locate any.

Salty said:

Good pellet...fair price...
You should try Vermont Pellets...they are softwood.
Burned almost 4 tons of them this year without incident.

j-takeman said:

I like the new bag and logo. last load we got was w/ the new bag. Looks cool.

frosty said:
Anybody know of any Oakie dealers in New Hampshire?
Can't seem to locate any.

Osborne's Agway in Hooksett (603-627-6855) has them right now for $249 a ton. They are
great to deal with as I stocked up already.

Frosty: Home and Hearth In Hampton Falls New Hampshire has the oakanagans for 259.00 a ton. I have used them for 2 years now BUT when I was there I picked up a bag of Vermont's and I am impressed with them. They seem to burn cleaner In my stove(Harman Advance) So I am planing to get a ton of them as well as a ton of Okies. Same price

First ton in the basement. Smells great. Disappointed that 3 of the bags on the bottom of the pallet had holes in them exposing MUSH and dry sawdust. Corner of cardboard was wet about 2' into the pallet. Were wrapped and covered. These has not been at the dealer for more than 2 days either. I see this as one drawback of softwood pellets...the mush factor.. ever saw this on any of the hardwoods we have gotten. Little numbers on the bottom of the bag said 1028 is that 28th week of 2010?

Dealer said they bought 1000 ton and brought in by rail car. Says sold more than 1/2 already.

[quote author="Salty" date="1302966139"]First ton in the basement. Smells great. Disappointed that 3 of the bags on the bottom of the pallet had holes in them exposing MUSH and dry sawdust. Corner of cardboard was wet about 2' into the pallet. Were wrapped and covered. These has not been at the dealer for more than 2 days either. Pellets that get exposed to water like that are going to go to mush whether theyre hardwood or softwood!

Status
Not open for further replies.