I'm gonna do it....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome setup! This will be my 2nd season with my Super 27. Can't wait to fire her up!!!

I'm on pins and needles here waiting for the right day to start the break- in...

Great looking hearth and stove! Really enjoyed all the pictures.

Thanks! I worked hard to lay out the hearth tile nice and center of the chimney so everything would look good and plumb and centered. Not to mention meeting clearances for several stoves I was considering. I'm happy with how it turned out. The little tile on the wall around the stove goes up in sheets, but weaving the inside and outside corners took forever. A million cuts and some very careful fitting to make the corners look right.

Nice Job and Nice Stove. Glad you showed all those pics of the stove and especially the inside of the stove. I like the design of the secondary baffle and the insulation up around the secondary baffle to make sure the heat up in the top of the stove and the secondary air coming in is hot so it more easily fires off the secondary flames. That looks like a really nice stove.

Reactions: MaintenanceMan
My new Super27 was just installed yesterday and it looks great sitting there just waiting to unleash some BTU's!
Like you, I am also looking forward to starting the break in. Speaking of, what is your break in plan? The installer told me to start 3 separate fires, each increasing in intensity. 1st one just some paper and kindling size wood, let it burn down to coals, 2nd this time add some larger kindling pieces, up to 2 or 3" or so and let that burn down to coals, then 3rd you can add some larger still and get a good hot fire going. He said this helps the paint cure properly and not look funky if you go to hot to fast. Of course the manual just says the first 2 or 3 fires it will smoke, etc. but does not indicate progressively hotter fires.
We are still having very favorable warm weather, I think I will do the break in burns while the weather is still nice so I can open up all the doors and windows to vent the fumes.

My new Super27 was just installed yesterday and it looks great sitting there just waiting to unleash some BTU's!
Like you, I am also looking forward to starting the break in. Speaking of, what is your break in plan? The installer told me to start 3 separate fires, each increasing in intensity. 1st one just some paper and kindling size wood, let it burn down to coals, 2nd this time add some larger kindling pieces, up to 2 or 3" or so and let that burn down to coals, then 3rd you can add some larger still and get a good hot fire going. He said this helps the paint cure properly and not look funky if you go to hot to fast. Of course the manual just says the first 2 or 3 fires it will smoke, etc. but does not indicate progressively hotter fires.
We are still having very favorable warm weather, I think I will do the break in burns while the weather is still nice so I can open up all the doors and windows to vent the fumes.

Congrats on your new stove. My break in plan is pretty much the same. I intend on a small then medium sized fire with just kindling and a small split or two, letting it cool completely in between before letting her fly. Just got to cure the paint and fire brick. Today would actually be a good day to start here, but I'm just too busy at work right now.

That sounds about right. I would add that my installer had mentioned that you should be able to put your hand comfortably on your stove top before you have the next fire. Also the smell will continue each time the stove reaches a new high temperature and then will disappear all together. Make sure you have windows open cause its gonna stink!

All right. Lets do it!

57 outside this morning with a high of 61 for today. 70 inside. I'm going to cure some paint..Lol.

Just lit her off for the first time. Pics inbound....

Some pine kindling, mostly from the pallet, and a few small pieces of maple. And 1/4 of a Super Cedar.
001.JPG
First fire.
003.JPG
I measured temps at the collar and right above the center of the door with my infrared thermometer. Got up to about 250 before she started dying down. Probably about right. Next fire I'll go larger, but I want to let this one go completely out and let the stove cool down completely. I'll probably shoot for 400 degrees on the next one. This one really didn't stink too bad.
005.JPG 006.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
You just couldnt wait could you!!!:rolleyes:

You just couldnt wait could you!!!:rolleyes:

Between a rock and a hard place between the weather and work schedule. Temps are about right for the next few mornings. Actually yesterday would have been great. Just couldn't get away from work. Saturday is supposed to be very cool so I'll be shooting for the next fire sometime tomorrow.

Gotta get that ash bed built up.... :)

I was hoping to cure some paint on our new Super this weekend, but Mr. Inspector didn't pass the stove on the grounds that my 6' flue from roof to top of cap needs a roof bracket installed and that can't happen until next week....sigh
I am not too hip on having to add holes to my roof, but so be it, he won't pass it without one.

006.JPG Had fire number 2 the other day. Felt great too. It was damp and cold out. Got her up to about 500 and then backed her down about halfway. There was some definite odor and a little visible smoke this time for sure. I'm pretty sure I'm ready to roll. Temps are back up in the 80's around here again so no fires for a while it looks like. But I think I'm ready to brave that first cold spell. Just gotta finish that new wood rack I'm tinkering with for my back porch.

004.JPG

006.JPG

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    317.9 KB · Views: 110
Looks good. You will like the air wash feature on the stove. Keeps the glass nice and clean!

I was really impressed with how easily it started from a cold start. Especially on rainier days with milder temps. I can't wait to see how well the reloads go in cold/cooler weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.