I'm Heading to Georgia....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregon Bigfoot

Feeling the Heat
May 21, 2011
Northwest Oregon
This will be a first time for me to head to the deep south. We leave Friday for our daughter and son-in-law's house in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia. I can't wait to see some trees we don't have here in the Pacific Northwest. I want to scrounge up a small piece of seasoned hickory or other eastern hardwood to take back in my luggage to see how it compares. This should be a fun trip!

Would like to see the baggage x-ray guy when he sees the wood. "what the #ell is that"! "need to post a "Wood ID request" on hearth.com" LOL
Have a good, fun trip.

Oregon Bigfoot said:
This will be a first time for me to head to the deep south. We leave Friday for our daughter and son-in-law's house in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia. I can't wait to see some trees we don't have here in the Pacific Northwest. I want to scrounge up a small piece of seasoned hickory or other eastern hardwood to take back in my luggage to see how it compares. This should be a fun trip!

I hope you have a great trip. Please be aware that some areas won't allow moving wood outside of a specific area. I don't know if your daughters area has any rules about that. It may sound silly for a stick of wood, but would hate to see ya get in any trouble over something like that.

Have a great trip!

With all the beetles wiping out forests it might not be a good idea to move a piece of wood unless it's been kiln dried.

Hickory is too heavy, they would charge you extra. :lol:
Sounds like you will have to find a local stove shop down there that has your stove, to burn your Hickory. :lol:

Oregon Bigfoot said:

Welcome & come on down! Fort O is only a few miles north of me. You'll be near Lookout Mountain (which I can also see out my office window) and just north of Chickamauga National Military Park. If you are flying into Atlanta, please don't judge us too soon. I think that I dislike that airport more than any one I've ever been through in the world.
There are no regulations regarding transport of wood here that I'm aware of. We don't have the EAB (yet) but do have oak wilt.

No restrictions on wood moving, its just not a good practice and they advise against it as the Lay person cannot possibly know what there is and the species of wood involved.

The coastal areas of the south have a borer from Asaia we beleive which is found in red bay trees. They are mostly on the coast and more a shrub or smaller type tree. Definitly does not effect the Hickory family, but you need to really know your species and they bugs that affect them in the local area. If you look at the GA forestry commission web site they can guide you. Its not illegal to move unless there is a ban, but like i said you need to know what your doing and looking at.

Welcome & come on down! Fort O is only a few miles north of me. You'll be near Lookout Mountain (which I can also see out my office window) and just north of Chickamauga National Military Park. If you are flying into Atlanta, please don't judge us too soon. I think that I dislike that airport more than any one I've ever been through in the world.
There are no regulations regarding transport of wood here that I'm aware of. We don't have the EAB (yet) but do have oak wilt.

Wow, maybe I will rethink taking a stick of wood home. Perhaps the weight of the luggage will cause me to say no. I am packing now, and will hope to leave the house in an hour or so. We are staying at a park and fly in Portland, OR.

Just going to a new environment will be great! What kind of trees grow in your neck of the woods?

JeffRey30747, Anything else I should look for, or do? My daughter lives very close to the Military Park you mentioned.

Well, we made it to Fort O, Georgia. It's WINDY, COLD, and snowing a bit here! It's supposed to be warm in the South, what's up with that? My son in law has some trees on his property. He has a tall sweet gum he wants to get rid of, because it so close to the house. He doesn't have a chainsaw, or I'd drop it for him, I am getting the itch to cut some wood, there are non-conifer trees everywhere! He has what I think are some kind of cherry trees, a pine, a couple of maybe cedar, and a few trees I have NO clue what they are. I'll have to take some pics and have you guys ID them, 'cause he wants to know too. And he has some kind of oak looking trees that still have quite a few leaves left on them. I think they are red oak, because of the pointed oak looking leaves, not rounded leaves like the Oregon white oaks. Someone posted on hearth.com a while back how to tell red oak from white oak, and that has stuck with me!

Status
Not open for further replies.