I'm In the Wrong Line of Work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Garbanzo62

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2022
Connecticut
I was at one of the Big Box Home Improvement stores the other day. They had bundles of Split White Birch on Sale. 11.97 for 0.6 Cubic Ft of wood. That come out to $2,560 a cord. The Whole Logs were even more. That is a lot of money for a small amount of wood.

Reactions: patrickk222
I was at a landscaping nursery this past weekend, and they had a hand cart worth of wood for sale for $60.00. it was about equal with what I burn in about 2 days. At that price it would cost me about $4,000 to heat my house for the winter.

Reactions: patrickk222
I was at a landscaping nursery this past weekend, and they had a hand cart worth of wood for sale for $60.00. it was about equal with what I burn in about 2 days. At that price it would cost me about $4,000 to heat my house for the winter.
Nice buck in profile pic.

Start working up and packaging wood, better yet find someone else to do the work. It's all about marketing.

Around here gas stations sell supposedly kiln dried wood for 6 to 8 $ for what is basically an armfull. Don't know if anyone actually buys that crap last stuff I looked at looked moldy

In areas like Pigeon Forge,TN where people camp or rent cabins small bundles of firewood are very expensive. Any place they build new houses with fireplaces people will buy wood like that just like they buy groceries as they don't want dirty wood sitting around the house.

Reactions: Vg3200p
If you don't like getting dirty burning wood is definitely not for you! I think a lot of people don't understand it's messy work. I consider myself fairly neat and I clean my stove area weekly but by the 5th or 6th day it's a war zone.

Thanks bud, archery buck from a few years ago, updated it to this years buck haha
Haven't been able to go the past two years due to medical issues. Shoot with bow also. Still have some in Freezer from the two bucks I got 2 years ago.

If you don't like getting dirty burning wood is definitely not for you! I think a lot of people don't understand it's messy work. I consider myself fairly neat and I clean my stove area weekly but by the 5th or 6th day it's a war zone.
They don't tell people that at the "Hearth & Patio Shoppe". It's all romantic with the flames dancing in the glass as you sip wine by the cozy fire. Could you imagine the drop in sales if they told people about the dirt, the unsightly pile of wood stacked for years and all of the rest that goes with burning wood.

That is one think I like about my Garn you can drive into my farm stead and probably not know I heat with wood unless I just started the Garn and some smoke is coming out of the chimney. Its nice to keep the mess out in the Garn barn that is in a big pole building. I do all my wood processing over at another one of our farms so no logs of firewood laying around here.

Ambiance vs Heat. People who waqnt some ambiance once in a while in their fireplace will buy the bundles, people who want to heat will buy cords or process their own.

Reactions: D8Chumley