1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

I'm looking for a stove that is ok to burn eco/bio bricks and has reversable or rear flue outlet

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jankdc, Jan 24, 2013.

1. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    My test with the Castine was with 4 compressed logs. No big deal, they burned well and long with a max stove top temp of 650F.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mfglickman

mfglickman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW CT
    I think this requires common sense like anything else having to do with wood burning. You would never burn treated or painted wood, start a fire with gasoline or lighter fluid (shudder), so of course you should never burn any bricks with additives either.

However the 1-2 log limit seems extreme considering the huge variation in size of these bricks.
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The ideal load with BioBricks is when you can create a mass of them with no air gaps. The expansion was there, but minor. I ran 13 at a time in the Castine. The only limitation was the firebox size and my supply (they were a shipped as a test sample). http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/BioBricks/
  4. BlueMavWood

BlueMavWood New Member

Loc:
    NYS
    I agree that Eco Energy Fuel Blocks (replacement for Eco Bricks at Tractor Supply Company) are awful. I'll start a new topic to say more.
  5. jankdc

jankdc New Member

I got this back from Pacific Energy:

Hello,

Thank you for considering a Pacific Energy Product. We do not allow the burning of bio bricks as their moisture content is too low which can cause temperatures in the firebox hotter than tested for. As well, it will not give you the long burning time and coals which help create the longer burning times.
  6. jankdc

jankdc New Member

I got this from Harman:
    Harman woodstoves are designed and tested to burn cord wood only.
  7. mfglickman

mfglickman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW CT
    Are we seeing a pattern of CYA on the stove companies' part here? Yes, I think we are. They are not testing on BIO bricks so of course they can't give their express or implied consent, lest they leave themselves open for a lawsuit...testing costs $$$ so unless consumers really demand it, it's not likely to happen...
  8. BlueMavWood

BlueMavWood New Member

Loc:
    NYS
    I have talked to many stove dealers about why they don't sell Eco Bricks (my favorite) or other wood blocks and they all say the same thing. They all tell me that selling them will void the warrenty on their stoves (because of lack of testing). So for that reason they will not sell them. That doesn't really make much sense though because I would buy Eco-Bricks from them even though I haven't purchased one of their stoves. So in that case there would be no warrenty issues involved.

However, one BK dealer who I visited last year did finally start selling envi blocks. He told me that BK has tested their stoves for use of manufactured wood block fuel.
  9. jankdc

jankdc New Member

I got this from Hearthstone:

You should be able to control the temp by adjusting the air control. In
    reality, to over-fire the stove, it would take an effort by the user.
    Either by burning inappropriate fuels (coal, driftwood, lumber scraps -
    my favorite is the guy that lived next to hockey stick factory and
    burned broken sticks), or by leaving a door open - especially the ash
    door. As far as cord wood goes, someone wise once said: "you burn what
    you got". In the end, common sense will rule - whether you burn a
    HearthStone or any other stove.

Jim Casavant
    HearthStone
    mfglickman likes this.