I'm set for the foreseeable fututre!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry in OK

Oct 31, 2011
NE Oklahoma
Looks like I'm set for wood for the foreseeable future. A friend of mine has been clearing land and just bought another 40 acres he will be clearing. I don't even have to fell the trees. He's already knocked them down with a dozer and if I need something moved around he'll bring over the backhoe.
Red Oak and white oak, black jack and hickory, predominantly with hackberry and wild cherry thrown in for flavor.
Been giving my old Kaiser a work out but I'm going to have to put some side rails on it. It will carry about 1/2 a cord before it starts wanting to roll off the sides.

Pics aren't the best but this is just one of the smaller piles I'm cutting out of.

wood2.gif

wood1.gif

Yes, your pretty much set it looks. Nice truck. Looks like a good work hog.

Watch out for the dirt Larry, not good on those chains! Looks good, BTW what is black jack?

Type of oak, the big ones can get seriously gnarly lots of limbs so not easy to split by hand Black jack is the local name so I'm not sure of the proper name.
Any trees that have mud and dirt on them I knock it off where I'm cutting.
Good part is that some of the have been down for 3-4 years and I'm finding a fair bit with moisture content down in the teens. Most of it will be split and stacked for later years though.

Awesome to find a cache like that. Looks like you're good with supply for a long time.

Nice wood score Larry. Nicer TRUCK; the M715 is one of the top favorites on my list....

Burning Black Jack in my stove at this very moment. More impressed with the truck. Hope you have a splitter for all that.

That's awesome! Looks and sounds like you've got some great wood to last for awhile! I didn't know what Black Jack was either, so this is my one new fact for the day!

Massive score indeed. Any idea of just how much wood is available?

Great score. Nice to load up right next to the cutting.
Sounds like your winter work is going to produce a many years supply of good wood.
How long of a drive?

I really have no way to estimate the quantity available, probably more than I could burn before it rots to compost, essentially an unlimited supply and only about 10 minutes ( at M715 speed) from the house.
There may be a splitter in my future. I've only split about 1-1/2 cords since I started this insanity about 5 weeks ago. I blew out a shoulder and had to have it "re-manufactured" about 3 years ago. So far it's only twinged a bit which isn't out of the ordinary for 50 year old shoulders. That 6 lb maul seems to get heavier faster than I remember.
The truck is a 1968 Kaiser Jeep M715, former Army, former VFD brush truck, only showing 14K miles.

LArry in OK said:
I really have no way to estimate the quantity available, probably more than I could burn before it rots to compost, essentially an unlimited supply and only about 10 minutes ( at M715 speed) from the house.
There may be a splitter in my future. I've only split about 1-1/2 cords since I started this insanity about 5 weeks ago. I blew out a shoulder and had to have it "re-manufactured" about 3 years ago. So far it's only twinged a bit which isn't out of the ordinary for 50 year old shoulders. That 6 lb maul seems to get heavier faster than I remember.
The truck is a 1968 Kaiser Jeep M715, former Army, former VFD brush truck, only showing 14K miles.

Larry, ain't it great to have your own "gymnasium" provisioned with lots of "exercise equipment"? (My preferred way to regard it.)
You're well beyond many of us here. Whatever you can get bucked/split/stacked off the ground/top covered will wait a long time for you. You may want to look into wood-handling tools like hookaroons, besides hydraulics. Back probs suck. "Fire when ready, Mr. Gridley."

Love the old Kaiser!

LArry in OK said:
I blew out a shoulder and had to have it "re-manufactured" about 3 years ago. So far it's only twinged a bit which isn't out of the ordinary for 50 year old shoulders.

I love the old Jeep and it looks like you got wood galore. Larry - I ain't a sissy boy when it comes to labor, but with what you have already been through with the shoulder I would highly suggest looking into a hydro splitter. Splitting that much wood is very much like a long distance runner. Its not IF your going to have problems - its WHEN. Some folks hold out longer than others, but I am not into abusing my joints anymore. Just a friendly piece of advice from a dude that has hand split a bunch of firewood.

Larry, that is a great score for sure and that is the first Kaiser I've seen for a long, long time! By the looks of your avatar you haven't spent all your time in Okie land.

Yeah BS, I've spread my goodness around quite a bit. Dad was Air Force when I was growing up and I had lived in 6 different states by the time he retired in '75 and we moved back home. 5 years later I Shipped out for Navy boot 2 months after I graduated high school. I gave Uncle Sam 12 years in the submarine service then came back home 18 years ago.
I picked the Kaiser up Memorial day weekend as almost an impulse buy, price was too good to pass up and I really had been looking for a 4X4 project truck.
It's been modified/bubba-fied some, but over all is a solid, rust free rig.

Might better belong in the gear section but since I do use it to haul my wood here is a good pic of the Kaiser.
001.jpg

Larry, one of our sons was also in the Navy on a sub during the 80's. Stationed in New London, CT. Wouldn't that be neat if you new one another at the time?

It's a small community but not that small, but there is always a remote chance I knew him. I spent 85-89 in Groton as an instructor at Sub School. If you like PM his name and I'll let you know.

Our son was also an instructor at Groton and even re-wrote several of the textbooks. In his last several years that is all he did was teach. When on the sub, he was on the Andrew Jackson.

Status
Not open for further replies.