1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

I'm set for two years. Working on year 3

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Rebelduckman, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Rebelduckman

Rebelduckman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pulaski, Mississippi
    I've got about 6 cords of maple, cherry, oak and hickory. Ill be burning mostly maple and cherry this year but the oak will be ready in 15-16. Im gonna try to get another 3-4 cords of oak this summer but man it's hot down here. Been a lot of hand splitting to get to this point but it feels good. It'll feel even better when year 3 is c/s/s

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    blacktail, D8Chumley, toddnic and 6 others like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jaychino415

jaychino415 Member

Loc:
    san bruno, ca
    Your stacks look great! Keep up the good work. It will pay off once they are seasoned.
    Mackj likes this.
  3. Ricky8443

Ricky8443 Member

Loc:
    Glenside, PA
    wow looks niccce
  4. Ram 1500 with an axe...

Ram 1500 with an axe... Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Looking good for sure.....
  5. Rebelduckman

Loc:
    Pulaski, Mississippi
    Thanks for the compliments and the tips. I've learned a lot from you guys here and I'm still learning
  6. woodsman416

woodsman416 Member

Loc:
    Kingwood, NJ
    Nice!!
  7. NordicSplitter

NordicSplitter Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western,NY
    Is that a creek, lake, river or pond? Just wouldn't all that wood to float away in the event of heavy rains and flooding:eek:!
  8. Rebelduckman

Loc:
    Pulaski, Mississippi
    Haha! Me either! It's a pond and there's a overflow pipe on the damn side. Never seen water stand where my wood is
  9. isipwater

isipwater Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    Good work! However, I am wondering why your rows on the pallets are so close together. The row by the water looks better because it will get more wind exposure which is what really dries out the splits. It is a pain to move rows but if you have the space, it might be worth considering to increase wind exposure.
  10. Rebelduckman

Loc:
    Pulaski, Mississippi
    Yea their too close no doubt. I stacked them several months ago before I started spending a lot of time on here. Thanks to advice from woody stover and others I moved some in a single row out by the pond. The maple and cherry under the tree I've been told will be fine. Most of it is in the mid 20's now with several months left to dry. The oak I won't use until 2015-16 so hopefully it'll be ready by then. I've considered moving them all but boy it's a PITA! Everything that gets cut from now on will go there. What's out there now is drying out fast!
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    isipwater likes this.
  11. isipwater

isipwater Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    Sounds like a good plan. Sounds like you are already using a moisture meter!
  12. Soundchasm

Soundchasm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Dayton, OH
    That is a beautiful thing. It is like a temporary sculpture. I'm still trying to get it through my head that stacks aren't permanent - made to be used.
    Rebelduckman likes this.
  13. Rebelduckman

Loc:
    Pulaski, Mississippi
    Yea I've still got the harbor freight one for 12 bucks lol. Who knows how accurate it is but it'll get you by
  14. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    He's got a month or two more of hot weather than we do further north. Those are soft Maple and Cherry so I believe they'll be close enough by the time he needs much heat...about Christmas time down there. ;lol
    It's kind of sad when you have to break 'em down and burn 'em. After admiring them for a couple years, they grow on you. :)
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  15. Rebelduckman

Loc:
    Pulaski, Mississippi
    Pretty close! Our real winter don't really start here until mid December and goes until mid march here lately. I think I'll be fine. As for the oak stacked tightly, it won't get burned until at least 2016 so I'm not really worried. There's plenty of the dead stuff and red maple to get me by while I wait.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014