I'm sold on having a wood hauler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzo's Dad

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2013
Canton, CT
Buying an old tractor has saved alot of time and energy this seaon. Way easier to haul the wood to the pile and split
2b5b9f39752e36ee7c7b217cd243c871.jpg

Reactions: stephiedoll
Couldn't heat my house with wood without a tractor and assorted trailers.

Nice. :cool: I wouldn't be able to get half the wood that's here without the quad and trailer. Lotta slopes in my woods. I've got a Polar Trailer HD 1200. Trying to get my BIL to buy himself a trailer for his lawn tractor. I think he's catching the wood bug from the work we've been doing at his place... ==c
161.JPG

Yep - I haul it out in lengths. At my last house I hauled the wood in from elsewhere with the truck and dropped it near the pile. Now I have to go rooting around in the woods for it.

DSC02216.JPG

I love both tractors you two have posted. Trailers are cool too but dang.... I got tractor envy....cool little tractors!

Reactions: KenLockett
I wish I knew how to weld, I would like to make a splitter that runs off the power take off. But for now the fiskars are fine.

Seeing the pictures I want a bigger tractor!

I debated that, but decided I'd rather be putting those hours on a $400 Subaru engine, than my tractor. Plus, I like to keep the trailer on the tractor, tossing splits into it, to haul to the stacking location.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Yeah I keep comming back to the point. In my head it seems cool to build my own splitter, but at 45 I am doing fine with fiskars

I love both tractors you two have posted. Trailers are cool too but dang.... I got tractor envy....cool little tractors!

There's a smaller version of that Economy called a "Jim Dandy" with a narrower frame, shorter wheelbase, smaller front tires, and different gearing. Good fun.

JimDandy04162004 001.jpg JimDandy04162004 007.jpg JimDandy04162004 018.jpg

Nice tractors! I use my quad, but the FIL has a mid 50s Farmall 100 I could use, if he'd get off his butt and get it running. He's retired and has waaayyyy more free time than I do

100_1539sm.jpg camtractorsm.jpg alkfirewood3sm.jpg alkfirewoodsm.jpg easy1.jpg full trailersm.jpg jeep_sm.jpg woodwagon3.jpg

I am a full believer in automation of wood movement. Almost to the point of embarrassment. ;em

To the OP - notice that Allis Chalmers in my pics? Almost the exact same tractor as yours is. (I have two of those and an old B1 Allis to boot.)

Reactions: D8Chumley
My personal fave is the EV tractor you built for your son.

I've been hunting for a mini tractor for my son, but being so busy, not looking for another project. I'm thinking a fully-restored Bantam 500 may be on my shopping list, very soon.

Reactions: Ashful
I am a full believer in automation of wood movement.
And the boy has followed suit, driving with his eyes closed, on full automatic. ;lol

Jags, looks like whatever it might be, you have it covered!! :)

Lol nothing to be embarrassed about! Having back-ups for your back-ups is a good thing

1959 Jeep FC150. FC stand for Forward Control. Typical 4 banger jeep engine with a more robust drive train. They made a larger version called the FC170. Some very strange version existed.
http://www.thefcconnection.com/fc_gallery.htm

To keep this wood related... Imagine this load of logs on a typical pickup truck
FC-170 Hauling Trees.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.