I'm sorry but this is just WRONG

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caveat emptor...

I am sure they fire'em on ether so they don't have to keep running them to get all the gas out. I have fired all of my saws at one time or the other more than once on ether. And those things have been running for a lot of years. Wouldn't suggest more than a start and shut down though. Quickest way to find out if the problem is ignition or not.

The bad thing ether does is dissolve those foam pre-filters on the air cleaner element.

Sometimes a can of ether can make your day. I've used it more than once to help get an engine started (2 and 4 cycles).

Matt

Yes, but I would never attempt to run a 2 stroke engene on ether alone. There is a good reason we mix OIL with the gas.

Trktrd said:
Yes, but I would never attempt to run a 2 stroke engene on ether alone. There is a good reason we mix OIL with the gas.

Although it is NOT recommended, a quick shot can often be a troubleshooters friend. Now on the other hand, ether without the oil of two stroke mix, can wipe a cylinder clean pretty darn fast. Ever try to start a two stroke without the rings being sealed by oil? Frustrating.

flyingcow said:
Ether....good way to mount a tire? Yup! But no smoking while spraying.... :)

Don't do it DOT can tell if tire was mounted with ether and will take you off the road if found. Don't know why or what harm it would do but that's the Gov.for ya,just because they can test for it they do wasting our tax dollar.

Ether can overheat/melt the inside of the tire. But only if you use the whole can, lol. It's best reserved for extremely large (Farm tractor) tires although most of those mount up without trouble.. I prefer the ratchet strap method for everyday use.

As a starting fluid? Ether is best left for large (automotive or bigger) engines that can handle the big bang it produces. Great for diesels that have no other starting aid. Do NOT use it it the engine has glow plugs or a "toaster" mounted in the intake. For small engines I use carb cleaner (usually acetone or Isopropanol based) as it works just as well and much safer for you and the engine. Plus no ether odor hanging around which is important since my shop is attached to the house.

Mission accomplished.

Status
Not open for further replies.