I'm still burning plenty. I thought spring was here!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasifier

Minister of Fire
Apr 25, 2011
St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
Still burning plenty of wood. Burning some of that stuff we didn't need to burn with this mild winter. It was 32 when I got out of bed this morning. It is a wopping 33 and overcast at noon. ;hm We have had plenty of cold weather over the past two weeks. And it has rained for the last 6 or seven days. We did need the water though. But I am more than a little tired of the cold temperatures and the dampness makes it feel even worse than it is. I don't often find myself wishing the weather of March was back! But April been a let down.

Hey Gasifier, we feel your pain too. It's been down in the 20's and still expected to be there a couple more nights so we'll keep on burning. However, a warm-up is expected next week. Hooray!!!

Still burning some here too. I'm tiring of covering the roses and a few other plants. Frost again tonight and low of 28-30 expected. 44 for a high tomorrow so we'll keep it blazin along. Sunday the warm up is supposed to come. I just told the wife tonight the warm days are starting to out do the cold ones so were on the way.

I hear you guys. Here in Va I think I've burned more wood in April than I did in March.

Been having at least a morning fire, and often a evening fire (medium size fires) for the past week - after a week or so of no fires at all. Still a crazy year. Cheers!

Also burning still, freeze warning last night and I think tonight too. First time I've had "junk" wood to burn and I'm appreciating the better hardwoods as it seems the boiler goes thru this stuff at least twice as quickly! Looks like warm weather is on the horizon though but at least these cool temps keep me comfortable when doing outdoor chores.

i think i have burned more in april than in march also!!

What dry splits didn't get used during the warm March are being burned in April here. Today will be chilly, damp and breezy so the stove will run on low all day. Then tonight is another hard freeze. Cherry for daytime then b.locust overnight.

I think we may finally be done. When there are a couple of successive 60/40 days I fire up. We may still get a cool day but it shouldn't last more than a day at this point. But who knows for sure with this weird weather...

Iam still burning but its alot easier than last year!;)

I think i've burnt more in april than march also. It just started to sleet here. burr..

Iam still burning but its alot easier than last year!;)
How so? Not having to burn as much because it's been warmer, or what?

EDIT: What's happening with the stove? Got that bad boy in yet?

I see several posts about burning more in April than March but we didn't. We had the big warm-up for sure and didn't burn then but early in March we did burn. In April, it is just start a fire and let it go out. I will finally have to bring a little more wood to the porch but won't bring much.

I see several posts about burning more in April than March but we didn't. We had the big warm-up for sure and didn't burn then but early in March we did burn. In April, it is just start a fire and let it go out. I will finally have to bring a little more wood to the porch but won't bring much.

Thats the way its been for me Dennis, burnt more this month than in March. I've had lows in the mid 20's now for at least the last week and a half, maybe longer, and only mid to upper 40's during the day. Just burning junk poplar and birch and wood scraps anyway. I might shut down next week for the season, supposed to get back up into the 60's, finally.

Pat

Let's hope this is the end of the heating season but I won't bank on it just yet. 20's tonight but 33 tomorrow night. Then it looks pretty good for the extended forecast. Maybe a fire at night every now and then but if it gets into the 60's and 70's then we're good. Think I may even plant some corn next week.

I'm still burning too.

For the last few weeks, every couple day around 7pm I light it up, let it get to temp, then bring house up to 70* before going to sleep. By 7pm the next night (or if I'm lucky the following night) the house is down to mid 60's and I do it again.

I don't have any real splits and I don't want to burn any of the oak I've been splitting all winter. So I am using all the uglies and junk that was piled up.
I actually had to dig a bunch out of my dump trailer, because last weekend I did a spring clean up and said "I don't need this junk, we wont be burning anymore and I have plenty of nice clean split stuff for next year", sooo I tossed it in the garbage. _g

It's over for us. I just looked at the forecast, 80s/60s for the next week. Time to clean the chimney and get the woodwork done before it gets really hot.

It's over for us. I just looked at the forecast, 80s/60s for the next week. Time to clean the chimney and get the woodwork done before it gets really hot.
I think I'm right there with you Woody. If we get a little cold from here out the gas can burn.......Lasts months bill was 1.99 I think I can afford a little.

I have used about 30 gallons of oil since October 1, 2011. I am very happy about that.

30 gallons! thats great! I went through about 200 gallons since Dec 1, 2011 Actually have to call for another 100 gallons this week.
I'm only heat my DHW with it :oops:. Man we use a lot of hot water. At least 1 load of laundry per day, dishwasher twice a week. 4 showers a day.

THATS IT!! No more hot showers. COLD showers for every one. Damn I here the OB running right now, wife is in the shower.

Man I gotta hook up my indirect hot water tank.

Oh yeah, I just lit a fire to take the chill out of the house.

Yep Mike, get that tank hooked up! I'm still burning twice a day mainly for dhw. We have the dhw coil installed in the boiler.
Other than a winter weekend when we are gone overnight, about the only time I run oil is during the weekly cleaning just to be sure the burner fires up. I'm guessing we have burned about 20 gallons in the last year+.
With warmer weather looking like it may be here to stay I guess we'll be filling up the electric water heater soon and paying about $20/mo. more on the electric bill for dhw until October.

Haven't really stopped burning since last Fall . . . other than a few 24 and even a couple 48 hour breaks. Morning and evening fires are the rule, rather than the exception.

Yesterday was downright brisk though . . . temps were up, but the wind made things feel more like November.

Yep Mike, get that tank hooked up! I'm still burning twice a day mainly for dhw. We have the dhw coil installed in the boiler.
Other than a winter weekend when we are gone overnight, about the only time I run oil is during the weekly cleaning just to be sure the burner fires up. I'm guessing we have burned about 20 gallons in the last year+.
With warmer weather looking like it may be here to stay I guess we'll be filling up the electric water heater soon and paying about $20/mo. more on the electric bill for dhw until October.

I have the coil for the DHW also. I haven't hooked it up yet, but what I plan, is to run the cold water through it to preheat it before it goes into the indirect storage tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.