I'm still confused on my decision of what wood furnace to purchase. clayton 1802 or englander25-3500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vic

Mar 9, 2014
west virginia
I have a two story home with unfinished basement. The home is 2400 sq ft. Well insulated in morgantown wv. The furnace would be located in the basement. There are so many choices and I can not decide on which stove. My wife hates me reading reviews all the time. I would like something I could feed twice a day. Is there anyone out there that has similar house and location. What are your burn times. Please help before I'm kicked bout by my wife. Thanks

Well, first off, unless your house is super-insulated, you are gonna hafta load the furnace 3 times per day normally. Sure there will be days, but when it is cold...at least three meals a day. Second, between those two, there is a hands down winner, the Englander. There are tons of happy Englander owners here on Hearth and over on AS, not very many unhappy ones at all. On the other hand, you see those Claytons (and all the others that are basically just like it, Hot Blast, etc) for sale used all the time, cheap. There's a reason for that, DIRTY WOOD HOGS!
You ever consider the Drolet Tundra/Heatmax? Modern clean burn type firebox. I would have considered one of those real hard if they existed when I did my install. Only bad thing is that I seen last night they are back-ordered to mid January now!

The Clayton will put out many times more heat than the Englander will. Since your in WV where the climate would be more mild, and your home is well insulated, I would steer clear from the Clayton. The Englander would be the better option, but like brenndatomu recommended, I would look into a Tundra. Longer, cleaner burns and less wood. If your home is tighter and well insulated (especially in a mild climate) the Tundra should perform well.

I have a 2200 sq ft home near Duluth, im gutting it so I will be caulking like crazy in the stud cavities, and putting in Roxul comfortbatt, and then putting up new drywall. Would the Tundra be efficient in that regard? or should I go with an englander?

Status
Not open for further replies.