I'm sure going to miss her.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Sold my King Ultra ,and went to the stove shop Saturday,there on the showroom was a new King parlor with satin trim and all the goodies.So I took her home at least in theory, she will be installed this week. I thought of downsizing to a Princess but why spend the expense of relining the chimney. Can't wait to burn her a very nice stove.Thanks to all the MANY inquires and thanks to the new lucky owner my King Ultra was five years yound and as new ,she never let us down in the two coldest winters we had ever seen in our lives. The replacement I'm sure will serve us well.:)

So why did you replace the 5 year old stove? Is the new one any different?

So why did you replace the 5 year old stove? Is the new one any different?
The stove was replaced because I wanted a King Parlor,I had an Ultra King ,no other reason. The new owner was ecstatic he looked at many stoves and was blown away when he saw mine . Five years old and looked like it was just installed. No other reason ,not to mention the fact the stove was sold for peanuts given what it is,$1500,00,a new one will set you back twice that and then some.

Hmmmm. You wanted a parlor model over an ultra so bad that you sold a newish stove, took a huge loss, and then bought a new parlor? I have an ultra and can't say that I've ever wished I had bought the parlor or classic model.

Oh man, now you don't even have thermostat numbers!

Hmmmm. You wanted a parlor model over an ultra so bad that you sold a newish stove, took a huge loss, and then bought a new parlor? I have an ultra and can't say that I've ever wished I had bought the parlor or classic model.

Oh man, now you don't even have thermostat numbers!
I guess we're different people then,what makes the world go round.The loss is only $ which is easily acquired when you or me work hard.You will never get what you paid out of a stove when you sell it. Mine was priced right,although I had dozens low ball offers this wasn't a fire sale.Thermostat numbers oh yes I do ,replacement never used from BK,don't know if they'll work ?we'll see. If not doesn't matter.

What exactly is more appealing about the parlor? I don't get it I guess? This is coming from the king of Woodstove sellers by the way!;lol

What exactly is more appealing about the parlor? I don't get it I guess? This is coming from the king of Woodstove sellers by the way!;lol
Why is this being analyzed like something sinister and mysterious?I just wanted the parlor model a little different look. I do the same thing cars frequently, sold a 2014 fully loaded Tacoma for a 2016 same color ,just wanted a 16. Is there an unwritten law that one must keep something indefinitely?Nothing sinister here about the switch the new owner is ecstatic. He patronizes this site often.He got a deal ,and I got five years tremendous burning from the King Ultra,now time to move on.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Dang dude, chill out.
I trade stoves like socks! I wasn't being critical, just curious.

Could be that Ohlongarm is just a leg man;lol

I profess to liking that look better myself.

Reactions: Ashful
Could be that Ohlongarm is just a leg man;lol

I profess to liking that look better myself.
Some people prefer that look. The legs are rather shaky and make the stove look very obese.

Dang dude, chill out.
I trade stoves like socks! I wasn't being critical, just curious.
I'm totally chilled being in law enforcement 19 years has taught that to me.It's just that of all the inquires, I had half the folks grilled me as if I was going to sell them a bill of goods. Albeit nice folks but realize everyone isn't out to put the screws to someone. The stove just recently had all new gaskets,new thermostat,new steel cat all BK parts,and had not one mar on it,two bricks had slight cracks,but not completely through.The new owner said sold as soon as he saw it.The new Kings now are north of 3 thousand especially with all the bells and whistles.I'll post pics soon of it,the old one and a wood stash that COULD be considered impressive by some but not all.;)

Some people prefer that look. The legs are rather shaky and make the stove look very obese.

Shaky legs? I can't speak directly to the King but my Princess Parlor sets on firmly secured cast iron legs and a level floor. No shaking it.

Obese....perhaps. I never seen my stove as looking like a Big Mac box until someone here mentioned it but I see it now, every time I look at it.;hm

I'm totally chilled being in law enforcement 19 years has taught that to me.It's just that of all the inquires, I had half the folks grilled me as if I was going to sell them a bill of goods. Albeit nice folks but realize everyone isn't out to put the screws to someone. The stove just recently had all new gaskets,new thermostat,new steel cat all BK parts,and had not one mar on it,two bricks had slight cracks,but not completely through.The new owner said sold as soon as he saw it.The new Kings now are north of 3 thousand especially with all the bells and whistles.I'll post pics soon of it,the old one and a wood stash that COULD be considered impressive by some but not all.;)
It was a good deal no bout! For what it's worth, I got 2K for my king ultra.

Shaky legs? I can't speak directly to the King but my Princess Parlor sets on firmly secured cast iron legs and a level floor. No shaking it.

Obese....perhaps. I never seen my stove as looking like a Big Mac box until someone here mentioned it but I see it now, every time I look at it.;hm
Compared to a pedestal, they are shaky. The steel on the bottom of the stove flexes, no way around it with such a big stove.

Compared to a pedestal, they are shaky. The steel on the bottom of the stove flexes, no way around it with such a big stove.
I didn't notice any instability with the parlor as it sat in the dealers showroom,when it's installed i'll recheck,I seriously doubt it though.

I didn't notice any instability with the parlor as it sat in the dealers showroom,when it's installed i'll recheck,I seriously doubt it though.
I wouldn't say it if it wasn't so.
It's not an issue most people would notice. I critique stoves, it's my thing.
Not that this a problem with the stove, just something I've noticed and thought it might be nice to know before you drop the cash. I don't care for the legs personally.

What I think obviously doesn't matter. I hope you are happy with your new stove. It should make more radiant heat than the ultra which could be nice.

What I think obviously doesn't matter. I hope you are happy with your new stove. It should make more radiant heat than the ultra which could be nice.
Are you saying I'll get more heat than the King Ultra? Anyway!!!she's bought and paid for.

He said radiant heat. The ultra comes with more shielding that reduces clearances and converts some of that radiant output to convective output. Same firebox, same efficiency, same cat and hot spot on top, you just might feel more radiant heat when you stand next to it naked.

So is it the looks? You like the looks of the parlor better? The parlor is more shapely for sure. The little lacey curtain thing under the door might also appeal to someone. The ultra is more modern looking to my eye.

We're all trying to imagine what motivated you to make the change. Maybe the answer is nothing or that you just like new stuff. After you rebuilt the last one at 5 years and still bought another that tells us that you know and like BKs which means you're alright.

He said radiant heat. The ultra comes with more shielding that reduces clearances and converts some of that radiant output to convective output. Same firebox, same efficiency, same cat and hot spot on top, you just might feel more radiant heat when you stand next to it naked.

So is it the looks? You like the looks of the parlor better? The parlor is more shapely for sure. The little lacey curtain thing under the door might also appeal to someone. The ultra is more modern looking to my eye.

We're all trying to imagine what motivated you to make the change. Maybe the answer is nothing or that you just like new stuff. After you rebuilt the last one at 5 years and still bought another that tells us that you know and like BKs which means you're alright.
I've found no better stove for Northeast Ohio brutal winters,when something better comes along I'll buy it,I've had many stoves all but BK have been chit canned.Morso,Buck,Quadrafire,Jotul,NC30 not that they were that bad just didn't live up to my needs.

I've found no better stove for Northeast Ohio brutal winters,when something better comes along I'll buy it,I've had many stoves all but BK have been chit canned.Morso,Buck,Quadrafire,Jotul,NC30 not that they were that bad just didn't live up to my needs.

That's great and I hope you share the experience as it is valuable to all of us. The more you can share about why you made switches the better for the readers.

NO other stove can burn as long as a BK and that is extremely important to those of us that use their stoves for full time heat.

Reactions: webby3650
There has NEVER been any complaint, comment, concern, criticism, charge, (sorry ran out of words beginning with "c") having to do with Parlor legs or method of attachment. I personally have a King parlor which has been dragged around numerous times in 12 years, without any structural issues.

I only wish my hearth pad was so robust.

There has NEVER been any complaint, comment, concern, criticism, charge, (sorry ran out of words beginning with "c") having to do with Parlor legs or method of attachment. I personally have a King parlor which has been dragged around numerous times in 12 years, without any structural issues.

I only wish my hearth pad was so robust.
Now there's been one;lol

I'm not saying that they wobble like cast legs on an Osburn, just didn't feel as firm and solid as a pedestal. I prefer the rigidness of the pedestal.

Status
Not open for further replies.