I'm thankful to be on my last week with regular fireplace!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

av8roc

Nov 2, 2009
Long Island, NY
Happy Thanksgiving guys.

A week from today I am having the new VC montpelier installed. I've spend the past month on these forums absorbing as much info as possible and I have really enjoyed all the prep involved with heating a home with wood.

I now have 4 cords of mixed hardwood split and stacked in the backyard, 2 of which are in the shed and the other 2 are tarped over top. Unfortunately only some of it is dry and I think I may have to get creative this winter with what I have. (I did hook up with an unlimited source of dry pallets however)

I got about 90% done with a 7' Holz Hausen last week but made the mistake of climbing on the top to finish the roof. Lesson learned. At least I got some good pictures!

I've spent some decent coin this month on wood, tools, splitter, maul, chainsaw, etc but I'm thinking of it as a hobby with benefits.

Anyway thanks again for all your help, hope you guys have a great turkey day!

Holz Hausen before it's demise:
CIMG1617-1.jpg

Doh!
IMG00032-20091121-0751.jpg

IMG00033-20091121-0752.jpg

Restacked:
CIMG1651.jpg

In the shed:
CIMG1653-1.jpg

Congrats on the new install coming. You'll really enjoy how well the new burners work over the old ways. I hear ya about the money. Once your set up though the costs will come way down and you're right, it turns into a hobby/obsession. It's all fun though, well, work too. Happy Thanksgiving, enjoy dinner and look forward to that new fireplace this Christmas.

andybaker said:
Congrats on the new install coming. You'll really enjoy how well the new burners work over the old ways. I hear ya about the money. Once your set up though the costs will come way down and you're right, it turns into a hobby/obsession. It's all fun though, well, work too. Happy Thanksgiving, enjoy dinner and look forward to that new fireplace this Christmas.

Thanks Andy. Definitely excited for Christmas with the new stove! (Well new house too) I'll be sure to get some pics up of the install and first fires.

Nice job !!!!

Can't wait for install pics !!!

After my Holz fell 3x, I have been stacking in rows ever since. And once in a while part of one falls a bit. Its extra exercise.
Congrats, get a good box full going, and add the less desirable pcs while its hot. Mix the moist with the dry.
You'll be fine, we all went through it. Check you cap & stack often the first year, to see how your doing and get a feel of how often you need to clean. Next year or so, you will prolly find you need 1x cleaning a year, maybe one in beginning & another mid way through the season.
Congrats again.

Have fun with your stove, thats a nice looking stove. I just got mine going and am having a blast, cant wait tilit get down to zero hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.