I'm that guy... Trouble with a Harman

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordo

Apr 8, 2016
NH
I apologize up front, buy I'm that guy who has to get this off his chest and is going to curse up a storm.
I'm so folking tired of this pellet stove. Why can't you get what you pay for? I have this Harmon stove, and no I don't know what model it is, but it was installed by certified installers, whatever that means, and every single year I've had it, I've had pellet stove people give it a tune up before every winter. I've had this tuned up 5 times in 5 years. The folking thing doesn't start. It feeds and feeds and feeds until I wipe out all the pellets in the bin. If this was a car, I'd junk it. I've done every single thing that's been suggested, but I find myself sitting in front of the goddamn stove watching pellets overflow time and time again.
I clean it, I vacuum it. I buy the best pellets, there are no leaks, and it works perfect some times, and then nothing....absolutely nothing.
Hey Harmon, are you listening?! Throw me a folking bone, will ya?

I had a pellet stove and I loved it! But I was in denial... We moved, switched to cord wood and never looked back. I will never have another pellet stove for the reasons you mentioned primarily. High maintenance, high cost to operate, and in reliable. No thanks!

Reactions: CenterTree
Wood burns just fine before its processed into pellets. If you can stand it, it maybe time to cut your losses and by a cord wood stove. Sorry for your troubles I know these sort of thing can really piss you of and ruin your day. I would be interested to see what kind of response this epic rant would garner over on the pellet forum.

Moved to the pellet stove forum for more helpful responses.

Are you getting any codes after running self test? I would try lighting it manually and see how it runs for 24 hours before pursuing something other than a bad igniter.

I've had my Harman for 9 years. It's a good stove for me.

Post a picture of the stove. That will help with the ID.

I apologize up front, buy I'm that guy who has to get this off his chest and is going to curse up a storm.
I'm so folking tired of this pellet stove. Why can't you get what you pay for? I have this Harmon stove, and no I don't know what model it is, but it was installed by certified installers, whatever that means, and every single year I've had it, I've had pellet stove people give it a tune up before every winter. I've had this tuned up 5 times in 5 years. The folking thing doesn't start. It feeds and feeds and feeds until I wipe out all the pellets in the bin. If this was a car, I'd junk it. I've done every single thing that's been suggested, but I find myself sitting in front of the goddamn stove watching pellets overflow time and time again.
I clean it, I vacuum it. I buy the best pellets, there are no leaks, and it works perfect some times, and then nothing....absolutely nothing.

Maybe if you bought a Harman, you'd have better luck. Seriously, need more info to help you. There should be a plate somewhere on the stove that will have the manufacturer's info on the stove. Could be a cleaning issue or a bad ignitor.

Reactions: vinny11950
First, Harman's (and as far as I know most pellet stoves) don't need "tuned up" each year. So if they are telling you that is what they are doing, that is a waste of money. If they are giving it a thorough cleaning and you are just using different terminology for it, then that is quite another thing.

And, you say you have done everything suggested, but we have no idea what those suggestions were, so could you please enlighten us? And, I'm guessing that sometimes it works, so maybe those suggested things are working, just need to be done more than once.

It's always a bad idea to post about your stove on a Friday night when you have had one too many.

:):)
This

Igniter area needs cleaned is my first guess, or maybe an igniter replacement. Or, could even be a restriction on the air inflow (or a few other easy fixes - but again we don't know what you have done). Any of these, especially if combined with very subpar pellets (ThermaGlo's this year, in my case anyway) can make for exasperation in getting it lit after only a week or so of running.

You have had 5 years of this issue and you are just now coming here for help? I almost smell something funny going on here - no offense intended if this is a real issue for you.

I would guess the ignitor area has never been cleaned out and a bad ignitor. No details then no real story. This started out in the wood stove area and if the OP can't figure out how to ask for help then he shouldn't have a pellet stove to begin with. He will replace it with a wood stove and then complain the wet wood he just cut last week won't burn properly.

If it just gets cleaned ( correctly) once a year it will never run right. But yeah, I'm guessing this to be a hit and run.

Last edited:
I am having trouble getting 6 inch oak splits to burn in my pellet stove. Pisses me off. Any advice?
My pellets burn fine in my wood stove though.

;lol;lol

Was that a Drive by "Pellet Stoves Suck" Thang or what?

Attachments

• 40981120.jpg
    40981120.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 153
Was that a Drive by "Pellet Stoves Suck" Thang or what?
Well it took him five years to finally complain. Unlike US Stove owners, some of them complain before they even buy the stove.

Owned a pellet stove for 5 years and just now joining this forum.... there is you problem.

Reactions: bogieb
Anyone who doesn`t know what model stove he has isn`t likely to know how to operate it either. Simply put , your complaint carries no credibility whatsoever.

I am thinking harmonal imbalance.

Since "Gordo" never posted back, and his story seems BS. He/she has a Harman and doesn't know what model it is? Heck, I've bought cars cheaper than my Harman! Just a waste of internet space! IMO And they reproduce! _g

Reactions: bogieb
Status
Not open for further replies.