Im thinking about buying a Pellet stove please help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdellemonache

Jan 24, 2011
MA
Hi Everyone.

For 20 years i have been using a wood stove and its getting old! I have been thinking about getting a pellet stove. I want one that looks like a wood stove (cast). I was looking at the Enviro m55 cast insert and free standing. Are these good stoves? Are there any better stoves than these? I am totally new to Pellets and i am not 100% sure if i want to get one. Can anyone please give me some input on this? Also What is the cost of a M55 cast insert stove?

Can I install this myself?

Thanks for all your input!

Mo

Welcome to the forum.

I can't answer your question on the cost of the M55 cast, but it's getting good reviews so far.

Other stoves that have a similar "look" as the M55 are the Lopi Leyden, Avalon Arbor, Harman XXV, St. Croix Hastings, and Quadrafire Castille and Mt. Vernon.

And yes, they can be self-installed. Do a lot of reading here to familiarize yourself with that aspect.

I know for me I absolutely love my pellet stove. Very easy maintenance and if you do the regular maintenance they just run and run. I think the worse part of the cost is in the exhaust pipe depending on how long your run is.

It would be a big mistake if you are wanting maximum heat and make any decision based on looks. You will love pellets if they keep you warm and will be less than happy if that need isn't satisfied. Some people buy for looks. Make sure you know what your primary need is. I would bet the most happiest users are ones that are saving money with pellets.

Welcome to the forum!!

I had been doing wood for 22 years and it sure was getting old. As I always say, no knock on wood stove people, you can scrounge a fair amount of free wood at times, but as for me, I was tired of stacking, freezing my butt off carrying it in, snow and ice on the woodpile, etc., etc.

I absolutely love my Enviro Empress and would never go back to wood. To me, it's easier than wood in many respects. Sure you need to clean more often and maintain weekly maintenance, but it's great to only have to load it once a day and forget it.

As pete324rocket states "make sure you know what your primary need is". My empress does a great job on the approximate 1,200 sq. ft. it heats, however their are certainly higher BTU stoves. To me the absolutely most important thing was to buy it from a dealer who would service me, since my tech skills are limited. Most people on this forum will agree the dealer is important!

Good luck to you if you pull the trigger!

Hello

We had a Consolidated Dutch West Federal Design Wood/Coal Cat Stove for 19 years !!

I did a self install with my new Avalon Astoria which is the sister of the Lopi Yankey both made by Travis Industries.

I built the hearth and vented into the chimney. It heats the whole 2,000 sqft split entry house.

Then I just shut of the Oil Thermostats and Enjoy !!

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 382
  • PS3PelletStoveBackplane&connection 100sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackplane&connection 100sc.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 370
mdellemonache said:
Hi Everyone.

For 20 years i have been using a wood stove and its getting old! I have been thinking about getting a pellet stove. I want one that looks like a wood stove (cast). I was looking at the Enviro m55 cast insert and free standing. Are these good stoves? Are there any better stoves than these? I am totally new to Pellets and i am not 100% sure if i want to get one. Can anyone please give me some input on this? Also What is the cost of a M55 cast insert stove?

Mo

Welcome to anything and everything you need to know about pellets and stoves.
Do searches and ask people you already know.There is No perfect 1 stove/1 pellet for everyone out there.

pete324rocket said:
It would be a big mistake if you are wanting maximum heat and make any decision based on looks. You will love pellets if they keep you warm and will be less than happy if that need isn't satisfied. Some people buy for looks. Make sure you know what your primary need is. I would bet the most happiest users are ones that are saving money with pellets.

Only happy if I am both saving money and keeping warm when it comes to a stove.

Size it right, keep it clean and both you and the stove will be happy and warm.

<-----Harman XXV using 6 inch "Top Vent" pipe adapter kit sold separately by Harman, allowed me to use the same chimney and piping setup as the wood stove that was in its spot before.

I recently purchased an M55 and have a thread going on it's performance. Do a search under M55 and you'll see it.

So far I like it.

Buy a Harman if you want to be in the MB,BMW class, lots of prestige there.

I would reccomend the harman xxv then. It has the classic look to it and it heats my 2500+ house up very well! It works so well we don't even turn on the heat at all!

Good luck.

Hi Everyone.

Mo[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.