I'm unsure if how to build a hearth pad.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diego_delavega

Nov 22, 2012
Timbuktu, Washington
I'm looking to install an Englander nc13, and I'm new to wood stoves (at least the install part). I can figure out the pad size just fine but the r-value has me worried. The instructions specify an r-value of 2.0. The highest r-value product I can find locally is Durock Next Gen 1/2" at 0.39. To get to the minimum of r-2 I would need to stack basically 6 sheets up. I live in a mobile home so I would like to have a higher r-value without using 350 pounds of durock under my 300 pound stove.

According to the hearth.com article on hearth pads 1” ventilated airspace has an r-value of 1.43. Obviously I can't use 1x2's to do this because they are combustible. And I have seen that some people are using metal studs, but I was thinking that they have a high conductivity for heat. I was thinking of using durock itself for the spacing... cutting 1" strips and stacking them 2 high and spacing them 12" on center. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this or if anyone thinks this is a good or bad Idea.
hearthplans.png

The picture shows basically what I'm thinking of. The top isometric shows it with a sheet of sheet rock under it which would need to have the paper removed from the top to have it count as r-value but even with out counting it there would still be and r-value of 4+. Neither top or bottom calculation includes tile or thin set.
Is my logic wrong or would this work? Does anyone have any other ideas? I don't want my family to become a satistic!

The rest of the install should be pretty easy... minimum clearances plus, double wall stove pipe, Supervent chimney, oustide air... Following the instructions should be easy since I'm a pro carpenter but the hearth pad is the only worrisome part.

Status
Not open for further replies.