immediate switch pennington to somersets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2011
midwest
finished up my last bag of penningtons and dumped a bag of somersets in to keep the fire going. immediately noticed a taller whiter flame, the room temp jumped from 68 to 71, and after a while i noticed the ash was much smaller, not as clumpy. big difference.

my sister is trying 10 bags of southern indiana hardwoods. so far one full 60 lb hopper has kept her well insulated 800 sq. ft. house at 66 for 41 hours. yes thats right 41 hours and still burning. amazing.

66 for 41 hours........too cold for me.

I would be freezing.
Even my dog would be asking me to turn up the feed rate. Lol

I like mine at 68-71.

Amazing how good fuel makes a difference.

---Nailer---

"I like mine at 68-71.", that doesn't work in my house. My wife would be on my case like flies on do do. 73F and up is where she likes it or she will head for the thermostat. Me, I have no vote on that one. Just the way it is.

save$ said:
"I like mine at 68-71.", that doesn't work in my house. My wife would be on my case like flies on do do. 73F and up is where she likes it or she will head for the thermostat. Me, I have no vote on that one. Just the way it is.

You need to install an override stat that she doesn't know about.

Or install a lock box :)

The last few cold nights 73 has felt nice. Gonna try to wean the wife down to 71. Will see.

SmokeyTheBear said:
save$ said:

Smokey, that's just like doing anything else behind her back, you WILL get caught! Hear me now, believe me later.

hossthehermit said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
save$ said:

Smokey, that's just like doing anything else behind her back, you WILL get caught! Hear me now, believe me later.

There ya go hoss, spoiling all our fun.

We could have convinced save$ it was the thing to do and then when the missus tumbled to his deed all hades would have taken place and we would read about here.

3650 said:
finished up my last bag of penningtons and dumped a bag of somersets in to keep the fire going. immediately noticed a taller whiter flame, the room temp jumped from 68 to 71, and after a while i noticed the ash was much smaller, not as clumpy. big difference.

my sister is trying 10 bags of southern indiana hardwoods. so far one full 60 lb hopper has kept her well insulated 800 sq. ft. house at 66 for 41 hours. yes thats right 41 hours and still burning. amazing.

Hello

What Make & Model stove does your sister have?

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 330
50 hours, 70 degrees. she has a cumberland 3600 parlour stove.

SmokeyTheBear said:
hossthehermit said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
save$ said:

There ya go hoss, spoiling all our fun.

We could have convinced save$ it was the thing to do and then when the missus tumbled to his deed all hades would have taken place and we would read about here.

Save$ has learned to save his bacon and not pull those kind of tricks. I swear she can read my mind! (I know, doesn't take long) We have been married (to each other) for 42 years. Not that I mind sleeping on the couch, I just would really hate to miss dinner!

save$ said:
Save$ has learned to save his bacon and not pull those kind of tricks. I swear she can read my mind! (I know, doesn't take long) We have been married (to each other) for 42 years. Not that I mind sleeping on the couch, I just would really hate to miss dinner!

LOL......I know how you feel about the dinner part.

update.....my sister went to open stove to have a look because the glass sooted over, and the entire burn area is covered with a heavy hard crusted tar. it took me about 40 minutes just to clean the glass. i wonder if putting somrsets in and burning at highest setting would burn the box clean? she refuses to burn the other eight bags of southern indiana hardwoods and im scared to put them in my accentra. what a mess.

3650 said:
update.....my sister went to open stove to have a look because the glass sooted over, and the entire burn area is covered with a heavy hard crusted tar. it took me about 40 minutes just to clean the glass. i wonder if putting somrsets in and burning at highest setting would burn the box clean? she refuses to burn the other eight bags of southern indiana hardwoods and im scared to put them in my accentra. what a mess.

Good pellets will spoil you!

You can send the SIH to me, I'll gladly dispose of them for you. ;-)

3650 said:

I think putting the Somersets in her stove on high might at least help. Sounds like she was burning pretty low for an extended period of time. That doesn't always work out well. I'm not familiar with those pellets, but I would try the Somersets on high before I'd try to clean it. 40 minutes to clean the glass, yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.