Impala ignition switch question....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
Hello,
I'm having a bit of an issue with my 2001 Impala. It began a few weeks ago with the infernal "Passlock" system, and has morphed into something bigger. Today, the dash gauges and lights were fluttering wildly - even with no key in the ignition. I first suspected the battery, so hooked up another on, only to have the same thing happen (although not as severe). Could the ignition switch itself be causing this? If so, is replacing one a big deal? Any other thoughts? Thanks.

I used to have a 99 Alero that behaved similarly. Replacing the ignition switch fixed it for me, but I also had issues with various things not working at times, such as the cruise control. Shutting the car off and back on would fix the cruise and flashing dash light issues. You do have to go through the passlock relearn procedure after replacing it, but that's not hard.

We have a 1999 LeSabre and ignition switch failed. Not the part where the key goes but the switch itself. Quite a job to repair. In our case the car just died while driving down the road and then restarted and dies again.

Could possibly be the body control module, but most likely the ignition switch.

Also don't think you have to perform the passlock relearn if your not replacing the ignition cylinder.

Thanks for the info. I've got the dash trim etc off (that seems to be the worst part), and the ignition switch hanging out. I can't figure out how to get the key lock cylinder out and how to disconnect the three wires for the passlock system. Are there any special tricks to this? Thanks once again.

Disconnect the battery ground cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.

Remove the steering column filler panel. Refer to Steering Column Opening Filler Replacement .

Remove the knee bolster bracket. Refer to Driver Knee Bolster Bracket Replacement .

Remove the instrument panel (I/P) cluster trim plate. Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster Trim Plate Bezel Replacement .

Remove the ignition switch bolts.

Lower the ignition switch away from the instrument carrier.

Insert the key into the ignition lock cylinder. Turn the key to the ON/RUN position.

Depress the transaxle park/lock cable retainer to release. Pull to remove the park/lock cable from the ignition switch.

Important: The Passlockâ„¢ electrical connector cannot be removed until the lock cylinder is removed.

Depress and hold the detent on the bottom of the ignition switch in order to release the ignition lock cylinder. Remove the ignition lock cylinder with the key.

Disconnect the Passlockâ„¢ electrical connector.

Disconnect the electrical connectors.

smoke show said:
Could possibly be the body control module, but most likely the ignition switch.

Also don't think you have to perform the passlock relearn if your not replacing the ignition cylinder.

Good point. I replaced both the switch and the lock cylinder in mine. Got tired of farting around trying to get the key out or to get it to turn.

Hypothetically, suppose some one got carried away and forgot to disconnect the battery before disconnecting the wiring from the ignition switch?

No biggie, its usually the first step in every procedure.

Been wrenching all my life and usually skip that step.

I'd be wary of the airbag deploying. Maybe a long shot, but if it goes, it's dangerous and expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.