Imperial thermometer falling off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardwaregrrl

Sep 17, 2015
Atlanta
Hey all.....I have your standard fare Imperial magnet thermometer on my Englander 17 VL and I swear, every time it reaches 450 degrees, damn thing slides down the stove. What the heck? Should I try another brand or put a big magnet under it to keep it still? Wondering if that would interfere with the thermometer. What brand are you using?

High temperature affects a magnets strength. Has your thermometer been heated to an extremely high temperature? Apparently, you magnet just isn't that strong any longer or perhaps it was weak to begin with. Probably just need to replace your thermometer with a new one.

I have the same stove, same gauge on the right side of the stove, top of gauge level with the door, and about an inch back. My gauge is inaccurate in the top range (showing 700+ F) if I recall while the temp gun shows 540-590 F? Somewhere around this temp it will slide down the stove. I never run the stove up there very often, but it's happened a few times.

I'm fairly confident it's not becoming demagnetized, but the magnet losing it's strength from the heat, and the backing plate surrounding the magnet keeps it slightly away from the stove. Otherwise you'd never be able to pull the gauge off.

If you're to the point of getting ready to chuck it out, file the metal (horizontal on left & right of the magnet) a bit, and get that stove up to temp. Worth a shot. I may try as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.