Important lesson learned.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
I am a 2 year wood burner and tonight I made a silly mistake I thought I would share.

I decided to make the first fire of the season tonight......actually a wee bit early but temps will be in the mid to low 30s by morning so I said what the heck.

My stove and pipe was super clean, wood was ready, damper cleaned and checked and a bit of graphite added to add smoothness to the overall operation. :)

Kindling loaded and all was great.........lit the fire and it took off with a medium sized load of kindling and all was well.

Kindling burned down so I decided to add 5 pieces of poplar and it too took off really well.

During the kindling run I tested the damper and did not notice the usuall quick snuff out my stove is capable of doing..........should have realized there was a problem then.

So after the poplar took off, I noticed my stove climbed to 500........so I dampered halfway.........no result.........so I go for the full kill switch I can normally get and NOTHING ! 8-/

Not to panic I knew the poplar would go fast.....it did and my stove reached a toasty 600........which is still ok but for my house temp which had now reached 80...........it was really hot.

When my wood got to a less flaming state, I got my tools and while sweating extremely bad I removed the damper and realized while cleaning and lubing back in the summer I had installed the damper upside down..........which meant the intake holes were fully open at all times and NO way to damper at all.......what a silly mistake........it won't happen again.

This worked out fine, but could have been bad if I had added 3 or 4 splits of oak........which would still be burning I guess.

So..........please don't load your stove on the "first test run of the season" really full until you have a chance to check all the controls and make sure your stove responds well.

Robbie

Logic test :

The best plan is to not let a problem happen. YES or no

Load your stove really full on the “first test run of the season” without checking all the controls to make sure your stove responds well. yes or NO

Fill stove for first burn after cleaning full of wood and let er rip. yes or No

Fill unknown stove with wood go to bed. yes or NO

Fill unknown stove with wood And let it go full blast then go to bed. yes or NO

Anything that can go wrong it will. YES or No

Anything that can go right will, if the proper planning and precautions are made. YES or no

WE can learn from our mistakes. YES or no

I will never have a chimney fire, yes or NO

I need to clean and inspect a unknown chimney. YES or no

The best plan is to not let a problem happen. YES or no

Status
Not open for further replies.