1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Important Magnum Baby CountrySide behind the firebox cleanout?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Don2222, Mar 13, 2013.

1. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Your bracket is on the wrong side, should stop the bottom of the motor from lifting up not stop the top of the motor from falling over.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH

That is per instructions, besides that, if it was put on the way you suggest, then you could not get an allen wrench in there to tighten the collar set screw. :)
  3. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Well, if it came from AES then I'm not surprised
  4. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    The stop tabs are on the bottom of the motor and it works very well.
  5. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    very good then. It looked like it was on top.

I'm very skeptical about anything to do with that stove.
  6. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    They sure sold alot of them around here! :)
  7. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    about 800 through peleltstoveusa
  8. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH

400 more thru Home Depot!
  9. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    no no no....pelletstoveusa sold 800 of them. Sold them through Homedepot from 2008-2010
  10. GMadd

GMadd New Member

Loc:
    Highland, NY
    Thanks so much for all the information. My inherited Baby runs so much better now that I've cleaned out all the places that you guys have indicated. Not sure the previous owner ever did this type of cleaning, it was a bit of a mess! I do have the hole behind the Ashbox that I have clean that out. Would I still benefit from tapping a hole in the horseshoe area and cleaning out the horizontal portion with compressed air? Thanks again!!!!
  11. ChandlerR

ChandlerR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hampton, NH
    Short answer? Yes! Remember to measure twice, drill and tap once. If you do blow it out while the stove is in the house, make sure all the doors, covers and plugs are in place. Hit the Start button and while the fan is running hit it with the air. The fan will suck the soot out so it doesn't go in the house. I do the air blast first then the rest of my cleaning.
  12. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    X2 needs a root canal!
  13. ChandlerR

Loc:
    Hampton, NH
    Yuppers! Poor design, great heat :p
  14. GMadd

GMadd New Member

Loc:
    Highland, NY
    So Don, you used a SS screw and Candler you used a Pipe plug. Did you guys simply drill the hole and screw them in? I see the word Tap used so I'm wondering if you actually machined threads into the hole. That'd be a little more complex. I might stick to root canals then.
  15. ChandlerR

Loc:
    Hampton, NH
    GMadd, I drilled the hole and ran a 1/4 pipe tap in the hole. Easy to do. If you go to a hardware store and tell them what you want to do, they should set you up with the correct size drill, tap, and plug. You can do 1/4 inch or 3/8 but no smaller.
  16. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hi

I just drilled a hole and then filled it with a nice Stainless Steel self tapping screw. Easy than a root canal to do also! LOL
  17. GMadd

GMadd New Member

Loc:
    Highland, NY
    You know what Don, the ironic thing is that I'm a dentist! So root canals are pretty routine for me, drilling holes in my new pellet stove makes me sweat more. I guess I don't have to get The Baby numb? Thanks Don and Chandler I'm gonna try to get this done sometime this week. I'm psyched. With the cleaning advice I already improved my flame, now I can make it even better.
    ChandlerR likes this.
  18. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va

why don't they just hard mount the motor to the stove? the gearbox has pre-tapped holes to mount the motor assy to a plate then mount the plate to the feed tube.

kinda like we do ;)

if the motor Is fixed in place there should be no need for a "stop bolt" to keep it from winding up in a jam situation hell we learned that decades ago
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  19. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Good ideal, Like the 25-EP. It is probably more expensive to do but we get what we pay for! Right Mike?
  20. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va

I suppose, im kinda flirting with my self imposed ban on bashing the competition so im not really going to get into it too much, but looking at the pictures you guy posted of the auger motor mount im puzzled why they did it that way, but im not that familiar with their design overall so its hard to be too critical of it sight unseen
  21. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    I
    I hear ya

Well, the bracket must fit the existing auger backing plate holes and having a strong stop tab on each side of the gearbox motor is much better than the stop bolt.
  22. ChandlerR

Loc:
    Hampton, NH
    Mike, do they even make these any more? Is AES still in business? With all the bad press they get, I can't see anyone buying them....and now that I think of it, where would you buy one? HD and Lowes doesn't sell them any more.
  23. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    They have made the improvements and the stoves are still being made and sold. Maybe some people do not know but these stoves are made in the midwest and setup to burn corn by default. When they are sold they are set to burn corn by default. The improvements and changes to burn pellets worked out well so that has made them very versatile.

We burn pellets mostly around here and also have alot of damp weather so we have to set them up differently and clean them with a cleanout hole.
  24. ChandlerR

Loc:
    Hampton, NH
    I remember reading that they were designed for corn first. Who sells them? They must have dealers out in the Midwest.
  25. GMadd

GMadd New Member

Loc:
    Highland, NY

If you watch this video on auger jams I think that they don't hard mount it on purpose. They want some play to be able to dislodge jams?