Important Pellet Vent Pipe question-please read

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to hijack your thread but I guess I have a similar question after reading all the install concerns.

I replaced a wood stove and just used a 90° out of the stove and then 60" straight up in 3" then I bought a 3" to 6" adapter and ran that into my existing through ceiling/roof setup. Does anyone see any issue with this or should I line the 6" with 3" all of the way up?

To clarify I have the same stove 25-PDVC.

I'd say the way you have it, is good to go.

Unless your locale says it needs lined? But many here run 3" into existing 6" Class A chimney.

I'd say the way you have it, is good to go.

Unless your locale says it needs lined? But many here run 3" into existing 6" Class A chimney.
Awesome! Thank you for your help.

Not to hijack your thread but I guess I have a similar question after reading all the install concerns.

I replaced a wood stove and just used a 90° out of the stove and then 60" straight up in 3" then I bought a 3" to 6" adapter and ran that into my existing through ceiling/roof setup. Does anyone see any issue with this or should I line the 6" with 3" all of the way up?

To clarify I have the same stove 25-PDVC.
I replaced my wood stove (it had 8" double insulated Metalbestos) with a pellet stove, and used a 4" to 8" adapter....works fine. No need to line the 6" pipe.

I do not know how cold it get's there but a 3" - 6" increase at -40::C cause an inversion in the chimney where there is not enough hot air going up to keep a draft. Therefore the cold air in the chimney acts as a plug and the stove does not burn worth shid or it will go out cause there is no draft. Line the chimney and the problem goes away. Have done the liner many times after a person installs the stove themselves or a installer who does not know what required and there dealer who sold them the stove now's shid about draft at -40::C or ::F. Take your pick:)

Status
Not open for further replies.