Impressive wood piles, beauty of a stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardwood715

Feeling the Heat
Nov 30, 2005
Hyde Park, New York
I had the pleasure of meeting a fellow forum member, and home town guy, Warren. I was very impressed by his wood piles, stacking method, and his Osburn, hearth, and home are truly magnificent! What a great job he did on his hearth, very nice work. I showed him one of the duds from a prior post, and he knew right a way it was still not seasoned. He stacks in the crisscross fashion, compared to mine being piled all in the same way. I scored a truckload of the pine, as promised, and it was so light weight, hard to believe i was loading splits of wood, I have a lot to learn on proper stacking, covering, etc, he thinks the split was locus. I got a sample of the infamous ELM! Warren is all he claims to be, and more! Thanks Warren, its a pleasure to be amongst a forum of real folks, not internet wanna-bes in this technological world!

I know that you know not to, but I will say it anyway. Be sure that you don't stuff that Marc full of pine like you would with hardwood. It will take off like a rocket and you will be running to boot the computer and get to that runaway stove thread.

Back in the eighties I had a guy staying here during his divorce. I came home about midnight and the minute I opened the door I smelled red hot steel. He had watched me every night stuff the Sierra to the hilt and set her off for the night. What he didn't realize is that I was using oak. He packed it completely full of pine and gone to bed. What an inferno!

Been reading that thread, and Warren also mentioned and showed me some pitch on one of the splits. Basically all well seasoned and light! I will mix a split hear and there with the other wood, BB did you stay up late that night? dial 911? or just ride it out? I wish I were in your vacinity, Your experiences alone would make for quite an evening of stories, and as always I learned a long time ago you never stop learning, always remain teachable! I would learn a lot!

DARN...Steve beat me to it!! I have to say that he too is a really nice guy. It was so nice to put a face to the words and stove. We spent about 45 minutes chatting and tossing splits into his truck....Sorry about the shin steve!!!

Both you and your Brother in law are truely nice guys..... Please get back here and get some more of this stuff....

Oh I did mention that this stuff takes off like rocket fuel, so ....burn with care.

Craig....Thank you for providing this forum so that I could meet a first class rate guy with a shared interest.

BrotherBart said:
I know that you know not to, but I will say it anyway. Be sure that you don't stuff that Marc full of pine like you would with hardwood. It will take off like a rocket and you will be running to boot the computer and get to that runaway stove thread.

Back in the eighties I had a guy staying here during his divorce. I came home about midnight and the minute I opened the door I smelled red hot steel. He had watched me every night stuff the Sierra to the hilt and set her off for the night. What he didn't realize is that I was using oak. He packed it completely full of pine and gone to bed. What an inferno!

I have overfired a stove one time, my Regency 2100.... and it was pine! Should have known, the wood smelled like turpentine.

Freaky seeing the top of a hunk of steel cherry red, and half the stovepipe to the ceiling.

House didn't burn down, guess I installed it right. My first.

Sandor, when ever I see your avatar I start thinking about Old Bay, beer and mallets!

Hard Woods said:
Sandor, when ever I see your avatar I start thinking about Old Bay, beer and mallets!

true dat!!!

hardwood715 said:
Been reading that thread, and Warren also mentioned and showed me some pitch on one of the splits. Basically all well seasoned and light! I will mix a split hear and there with the other wood, BB did you stay up late that night? dial 911? or just ride it out? I wish I were in your vacinity, Your experiences alone would make for quite an evening of stories, and as always I learned a long time ago you never stop learning, always remain teachable! I would learn a lot!

Yeah I am a wealth of stories of screwing up. I used to be bashful about admitting screw-ups and then I figured out that everybody else does too, they just don't admit it. All of those fire trucks are rushing somewhere.

The stove finally came back down to earth but I dragged the guy out of bed yelling at him at the top of my lungs. Some of it was my fault for having somebody living here and not giving them proper training on running the stove.

So it's now about 8:30 and that load you saw steve...it's still burning...same Pine I gave you..38 degrees out and still not a good draft.

Hard Woods said:

I will second that!! Where is that string, found the chicken necks and the net. Old Bay is in the kitchen, Just to far to the Chesapeake from here ... .

Wow. I really like that stove! Thanks for the kind words Warren, Got the shin icing down, a little knot there, tried to act like it didn't hurt, but well worth the wood! I have been seriously thinking about upgrading, but not this year, but I love the view you have of the fire, and it sure did put out some heat! Thanks, see ya on the reload!

DriftWood said:
Hard Woods said:

I will second that!! Where is that string, found the chicken necks and the net. Old Bay is in the kitchen, Just to far to the Chesapeake from here ... .

Ahhh. Chickan Nekkas.

I'm baiting the traps tomorrow morning, keeping hoping the run continues. The two pots I keep at the pier at work gets about 20 crabs, every other day. (10 each)

The weather has turned really cold in the last 10 days, so I expect they guys will bury in the mud soon.

I'm still expecting a feast this Friday Night!

BTW, you never use a Mallet to eat a crab! Butterknife!

Sandor said:
DriftWood said:
Hard Woods said:

Ahhh. Chickan Nekkas.

I'm baiting the traps tomorrow morning, keeping hoping the run continues. The two pots I keep at the pier at work gets about 20 crabs, every other day. (10 each)

The weather has turned really cold in the last 10 days, so I expect they guys will bury in the mud soon.

I'm still expecting a feast this Friday Night!

BTW, you never use a Mallet to eat a crab! Butterknife!

Trade ya some pine for some crabs!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.