Improper vent install burns down Maine apt house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Code violations in general do not rise to a crime. Civil action however can result.

ETA: What actually happened there is possibly different from what the article says, things sometimes are not reported correctly.

If said violation results in death or inury, you can bet charges will be filed.

A homeowner install likely wouldn't face criminal prosecution for breaking code. A professional if it could be gleamed as gross negligence, such as you hired someone he put pvc on your stove and people died, i could see that becoming criminal.

A homeowner install likely wouldn't face criminal prosecution for breaking code. A professional if it could be gleamed as gross negligence, such as you hired someone he put pvc on your stove and people died, i could see that becoming criminal.

You can not face criminal prosecution for a code violation. There is a very large difference between what is criminal and what you can held liable for.

We don't require a permit, however do require either a WETT certified installer perform the installation or once I finished installing it, having a WETT certified inspector sign off on it... in person!!
In Canada if it results in a fire the WETT inspector can be held liable.

Code violations in general do not rise to a crime. Civil action however can result.

ETA: What actually happened there is possibly different from what the article says, things sometimes are not reported correctly.
I would have to think that the threshold for negligence was met in this case. If there are any lawyers out there, it would be interesting to hear their input.

You can not face criminal prosecution for a code violation. There is a very large difference between what is criminal and what you can held liable for.
A code violation is one thing. A code violation that results in property damage and/or injury to someone is not the same as a code violation by itself.

We don't require a permit, however do require either a WETT certified installer perform the installation or once I finished installing it, having a WETT certified inspector sign off on it... in person!!
I have a house on PEI and I have a pellet stove there. When I had it installed by the dealer, he made sure that the install met all the required specifications. The insurance companies will not insure your house if a certified professional did not install the stove. In multifamily houses that have an improperly installed stove, a fire that results from that is a criminal offense; just as not having smoke alarms in a fire that causes injury.

A code violation is one thing. A code violation that results in property damage and/or injury to someone is not the same as a code violation by itself.

It still will not rise to a crime. People regularly equate liability to a crime, they are not the same. There will be no criminal prosecution the involved parties can enter into a civil lawsuit and a civil liability judgment may or may not result.

I have a house on PEI and I have a pellet stove there. When I had it installed by the dealer, he made sure that the install met all the required specifications. The insurance companies will not insure your house if a certified professional did not install the stove. In multifamily houses that have an improperly installed stove, a fire that results from that is a criminal offense; just as not having smoke alarms in a fire that causes injury.

PEI isn't even in the US let alone Maine different country different laws.

Reactions: mepellet
Yup. My insurance company said they wouldn't have a problem if I did the install on my pellet stove or wood stove.

Polarbear is from Canada and I was responding to his post. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear in my reply.

No permit needed but my insurance said it had to be pro installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.