Improved my top cover

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billybonfire

Feeling the Heat
Jul 6, 2012
Lancashire NW England.
As a result of seeing all the fantastic woodsheds and stacks on here, I have been working on improving mine.
Added a plastic top covering which should help keep the rain off.
Photo0274.jpg
Here is a pic of a pheasant that was on the lawn infront of another woodpile,bit fuzzy was zoomed in as quite a way off.
Photo0273.jpg

Thanks to Scotty, Backwoods and all the others for the inspiration. :)

very nice, I need to gedt my wood moved over into the shed soon

Reactions: Billybonfire
Cheers Scotty,
Hmmm, roast pheasant, now where did I leave that shotgun ? :)

Guys like Backwoods Savage, TFDChief, Zap, Bogydave, Dexterday, golfandwoodnut, fossil, Papadave, Blue2ndaries...... I've probably left some out, but they know who they are, the list goes on and on. Those guys are the gods of woodstacks and sheds. I learned a lot from what I see on this site, and lemme tell ya there's always something to learn. No matter how long you've been burning wood, or where you live on this planet. This site is a unique brotherhood, you fit right in here Billy!

Guys like Backwoods Savage, TFDChief, Bogydave, Dexterday, golfandwoodnut, fossil, Papadave, Blue2ndaries...... I've probably left some out, but they know who they are, the list goes on and on. Those guys are the gods of woodstacks and sheds. I learned a lot from what I see on this site, and lemme tell ya there's always something to learn. No matter how long you've been burning wood, or where you live on this planet. This site is a unique brotherhood, you fit right in here Billy!

Thanks Scotty,
thought I knew a bit about woodburning but have learned alot more from you guys on this site, it truly is inspirational seeing some of the stacks and knowing the ammount of work that has been put into them.
Like my teacher always said "must try harder ".

Reactions: Nixon and ScotO
You can definitely tell a good woodstover by the way he takes care of his fuel. Very nice!

Great improvements Billy
Looks like you have it (the wood shed) stuffed, (the way I like pheasant :) (And wood sheds too ;) )

You must be the "Fire Wood King" in your area. You have several cords stacked up.
All well concealed & very neat.

Good looking stacks and a great cover.... Tiss the time to top cover. We didn't have rain for almost 2 months... The day after I top covered everything, it rained for almost 2 days.

Was a good year for firewood seasoning. Some will say different. But it rained everyday where I live, last year. This year, we have almost no rain and lots of records broken (about 20 days over 90°, in a row!!) Good Sun, Good Wind, and little rain = Good seasoning to me. Its not a huge improvement over years past, but still an improvement.

Your stacks look awesome.... Congrats on the "Dry" wood :)

Looks great Billy, how much wood do you have there?

Thanks etiger, in the first pic there is nearly 2 cords I recon, stacked on 3 pallets and a bit more on bricks to the right side.
In the second pic there is a single row of 8 stacks between fence posts, each 6' by 5' tall, so I think nearly 2 cords there.
Got some more stacks too, and some in lengths awaiting CSS.
About 3 years ahead I think, which is a nice place to be. :)

Great improvements Billy
Looks like you have it (the wood shed) stuffed, (the way I like pheasant :) (And wood sheds too ;) )

You must be the "Fire Wood King" in your area. You have several cords stacked up.
All well concealed & very neat.

Thanks bogydave, I agree most things are best stuffed :)
When friends visit who arent woodburners they cant believe how much wood i've got, they dont know how much wood it takes to run a stove overwinter. :eek:
I think most people this side of the pond just have the occasional fire for pleasure so dont need so much wood.
Has become a bit of a hobby of mine, get great satisfaction out of making a neat woodpile, and you cant beat that feeling comming home to a nice hot fire when its cold outside.:)

Thanks etiger, in the first pic there is nearly 2 cords I recon, stacked on 3 pallets and a bit more on bricks to the right side.
In the second pic there is a single row of 8 stacks between fence posts, each 6' by 5' tall, so I think nearly 2 cords there.
Got some more stacks too, and some in lengths awaiting CSS.
About 3 years ahead I think, which is a nice place to be. :)

Sounds good Billy, Id get the rest split and stacked asap, three years is a great place to be, great job.

Guys like Backwoods Savage, TFDChief, Zap, Bogydave, Dexterday, golfandwoodnut, fossil, Papadave, Blue2ndaries...... I've probably left some out, but they know who they are, the list goes on and on. Those guys are the gods of woodstacks and sheds. I learned a lot from what I see on this site, and lemme tell ya there's always something to learn. No matter how long you've been burning wood, or where you live on this planet. This site is a unique brotherhood, you fit right in here Billy!
Thanks Scotty, first time I have been mentioned with the Royalty of Hearth.com

By the way you can teach us alot more than we can teach you, you will never find me climbing a tree with a chainsaw in hand.

Reactions: ScotO
very nicely done, make my pallet piles with used chipboard to cover them look bad

Looks good! :) Appears that the frame of an old barn or shed is behind the stack; Is the wood shed tied into that structure?
Looks like you put some newer stuff on top of that front row. Hopefully, that's ready to burn and you won't have to move wood to get to the drier stuff...

Looks good! :) Appears that the frame of an old barn or shed is behind the stack; Is the wood shed tied into that structure?
Looks like you put some newer stuff on top of that front row. Hopefully, that's ready to burn and you won't have to move wood to get to the drier stuff...

Hi Woody, yes its an old wooden greenhouse (Canadian pich pine about 50 yrs old, should burn good when I get round to taking it down:) ), my father was a farmer, most of the land sold off now though.
The woodstore isnt attached to it so shouldnt fall over, used some of the steel posts from the old greenhouse for the uprights for the store, still strong after all those years.
Got some freshly cut ash on top left side of the store and below it some cherry on the right side which is from last year and to the left a mix of birch and fruitwoods.
On the pallet to the right is a load of old timbers from the villiage pub which was knocked down recently, should be well seasoned, from about 1850 !:) .
I plan on burning this, this year along with another pile of wood from the pub which is in an old outside toilet which was used by workers on the farm.
I salvaged an old oak stair post from the pub, which I thought was to good to burn, made a bit of a feature out of it for the garden.
Will go and take a pic coz if I dont it didnt happen, right :)

Villiage pub being knocked down :(
Photo0153.jpg

Stair post I salvaged from the pub, soild oak, to nice to burn so made a garden feature :)
Photo0278.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.