Improving Heat Loop on the old (Superstor) Indirect DHW Tank Output and FG pipe insulation!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Well, not sure if this will help, but I thought the heat loop could be improved. I sure do not want to waste hot water when I am NOT using it. So if no heat convects out the top of the tank, then I will save money on oil.
Still have the DHW expansion tank on the cold line. That keeps the hot water in the tank also!!

So today I got a chance to add two Heat traps to the verticals in the heat loop.

I had one in the horizontal but that was not the best idea. Leaving it in is not an issue.

So now I have 3 heat traps and the verticals are now 17 inches instead of 12 inches. The horizontal is still 12 inches.

So will this save me money? The heat nipples cost me $4.95 at Home Depot.

See pics below!!
Click to enlarge!

Attachments

• 210ImprovedHeatLoopSC.jpg
    210ImprovedHeatLoopSC.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 234
  • DHWHeatTrap.jpg
    DHWHeatTrap.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 225
It's saving you money but no more money using three than if you had just used one in my opinion. I would insulate my hot water lines with 1 inch thick fiberglass/mineral wool insulation for even more savings.

Morgan said:
It's saving you money but no more money using three than if you had just used one in my opinion. I would insulate my hot water lines with 1 inch thick fiberglass/mineral wool insulation for even more savings.

I agree that 3 may be two many, but as I said before I had only one in the horizontal which was not working out!

Since they come in a pack of 2 for $4.95 it was easier to put both in the verticals. Wow, I just checked, it made a huge difference! I have a thermometer on the hot side reading 100 Degree F water out of the tank and the other side of the loop is now cool to the touch!! It was not like that before!!!

Also, Yes you are so right about the Fiberglass pipe insulation. I had 2 issues. First I wanted to get this loop fixed up better and 2nd I bought the Home Depot FG Pipe insulation which I found was R2 1/2" thick wall and very pricey but did not know any better!!

Now I found that the local Heating Supply Wholesaler (F.W. Webb) has the real good R4 1" thick fiberglass pipe insulation cheaper and the nice white tape for the joints!! So that will be my weekend project and should save more oil!!

Thanks
See pic below!
Click to enlarge.

Attachments

• 230-1inchBoilerPipeInsulationSC.jpg
    230-1inchBoilerPipeInsulationSC.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 212
Hello

That 1" Fiberglass Insulation is much better than the Home Depot 1/2". If I put my hand around the 1/2" FG it felt warm!! The 1" does not feel warm atol !!!

see pic

Attachments

• 240-1inchFGpipeInsulsc.jpg
    240-1inchFGpipeInsulsc.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 233
Hello

Ok, only one more problem with that heat trap!!!

It works great when there is NO Hot Water being draw into the Bath or Kitchen!! Yes!

However When Hot wate IS being drawn the Heat Loop acts like a radiator and dissipates the heat!! Oh NO !!!

So the heat trap must be heavily insulated with 1 Inch FiberGlass Pipe Insulation to be all it can be in the new economy!!!

See pic below!

Attachments

• 250-1inchFGHeatTrapInsulsc.jpg
    250-1inchFGHeatTrapInsulsc.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 207
Status
Not open for further replies.