IMS 35 ton wood splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2008
Upstate South Carolina
Does anyone know anything about this splitter? It has a 9 hp engine but I do not know if it's a Honda or not. The piston is five inch so it aught to bust the really tough stuff I have. Price is $1299. so it's a pretty good deal if it's a quality splitter. Freight from Mass would be extra. I would order one if you fellows tell me it's a good splitter. What does anyone have to say?? David

dont know anyting about that splitter but 9 hp 35 ton splitter is a power house for sure does it come with a warranty?

The splitter has a one year warrenty. I suspect this splitter is a chinese copy clone and does not use american parts. Then this would not be a problem because everything can be bought at Northern Supply. I can fix anything so this would not be a problem for me. Just trying to see if buying this splitter makes sense. David

Captain Hornet said:
The splitter has a one year warrenty. I suspect this splitter is a chinese copy clone and does not use american parts. Then this would not be a problem because everything can be bought at Northern Supply. I can fix anything so this would not be a problem for me. Just trying to see if buying this splitter makes sense. David
iam sure most arent made in the u.s. how much is shipping?

You'r right, they are not made here. I found out that the engine is a Chinese clone (copy) of the Honda engine. The salesman tells me that all the parts directly enterchange with Honda parts but the engine is NOT a Honda engine. They can supply the splitter with a Honda or Briggs&Straten;for a additional $500. The splitter is shipped to you all broke down in parts for you to assemble. Shipping is by UPS Freight and charges depend on destination but in any case is never less than $125. All these engines are 8hp. So after all due consideration, I have decided to go with the 35 ton Husky. I found a new one, with a 15 hp Briggs&Staton;for $1790. It's all assembled and local so I don't have to pay freight. Just pick it up and put it into service. It's a better splitter for less money so that's the way to go for me. Thanks for your time. David.

Captain Hornet said:
You'r right, they are not made here. I found out that the engine is a Chinese clone (copy) of the Honda engine. The salesman tells me that all the parts directly enterchange with Honda parts but the engine is NOT a Honda engine. They can supply the splitter with a Honda or Briggs&Straten;for a additional $500. The splitter is shipped to you all broke down in parts for you to assemble. Shipping is by UPS Freight and charges depend on destination but in any case is never less than $125. All these engines are 8hp. So after all due consideration, I have decided to go with the 35 ton Husky. I found a new one, with a 15 hp Briggs&Staton;for $1790. It's all assembled and local so I don't have to pay freight. Just pick it up and put it into service. It's a better splitter for less money so that's the way to go for me. Thanks for your time. David.

talk to gooserider... chances are you dont need a 35 ton unless it is a business... he did something where he never needed more than a 20 so you could save even more monay and get the 28 huskee... there isnt much difference between the 2

This splitter well be used about 80% on white and red oak, 20% other species, mostly maple and hickory. Over half the oak is three to four foot across trunk stumps. My neighbor has the 28 ton and it well split the oak stumps but sometimes it really struggles. I get these oak trunk stumps free from a commercial tree service and have a unlimited supply. They are usually cut to 18 or 20 inch legnth but are never split. I do the tree service a favor by taking them and I like them because it's really good wood. I think this big splitter is going to make everyone happy. David

Captain Hornet said:

local always better imo and 35 ton you sure may never need it but I have quite a few slow piece's gong through with a 27 ton

Just wanted to update this if anyone is looking at this splitter. I was looking at getting it till I read the reviews, not that great.

I dug a little deeper and the reviews they posted on imslogsplitter.com seem to be all fake.

The email address one of the reviewers posted bounces back:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.
Delivery to the following recipients failed.
[email protected]

And when trying to google the others like Woodchucks INC, MI I can not find that company.

This one guys review over at arboristsite is pretty bad: http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/109324.htm
He seems to have gone out of his way to post his experiece everywhere, they must have ticked him off pretty good.

Have not been able to find a glowing VALID review of this splitter yet.

The general consensus of this splitter is the same as has been stated before, cheap Chinese crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.