In All Seriousness.... A Safe Termination Cap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinger

Burning Hunk
Nov 23, 2011
SW CO
www.gregdinger.com
When I designed my set-up, I knew I would be close, but I would clear my second level roof overhang by a few inches with my termination cap, which is about seven feet off the ground. I checked it in a rainstorm and measured to the water running off my roof. What I FAILED to consider, was snow wanting to curl back under as it crept off the roof. I took a small chunk of ice off of the end of my term cap, denting it. I considered this my warning shot, but it needed fixed.

I pulled the stove a little further into the room, but have a limit there too, this only relieved it an inch or two.

I came up with this after a few adult bevvys while sitting in the hot tub one night. I bought a 5inch slash cut tip off of eBay, and cut it to my length. I used the outer ring of a Simpson pipe, so it locks in place just like a regular cap or pipe. It is fastened with three stainless machine screws, and the gap filled well with hi temp RTV. It has an expanded metal screen to keep the birds out, and I can take it all apart for cleaning etc. It fits very solid over the 3 or so inches penetrating my wall. Overall the shortest part of it is over 7" from the wall.

The question is this... Is it safe? I don't know why, but as I'm putting it on and looking at it, I got a weird feeling that it wasn't up to some standard or something. I can put my hand on the back side of closest the wall, and have been shoot it all weekend with my laser temp gun, and it is no hotter than the piping inside the house at the wall, in fact it is much cooler. I just got weirded out all of the sudden. By rights it is double walled, and for a distance, it is triple. Out at the very end it is single, and it IS warm there, but not warmer than the OEM cap. It does not have a venturi to cool the sparks, but it is over blacktop and gravel so no vegetation to worry about.

The ugly pic is where the gas vent used to be, and my remodel framing inside at 7 1/2" for the wall thimble. I then bandaided it with a ceramic tile, followed by the outer half of the wall thimble.

Am I worrying too much? Should I maybe involve a fire inspector? Just trying to be as safe as possible.

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• Pellet Stove Pics 073.jpg
    Pellet Stove Pics 073.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 358
  • Pellet Stove Pics 014.jpg
    Pellet Stove Pics 014.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 355
  • Pellet Stove Pics 017.jpg
    Pellet Stove Pics 017.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 352
  • Pellet Stove Pics 082.jpg
    Pellet Stove Pics 082.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 330
  • Chrome tip 006.jpg
    Chrome tip 006.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 326
  • Chrome tip 010.jpg
    Chrome tip 010.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 343
My NG heater in my shop has a simple 5" exhaust turnout the same that would be used on a truck exhaust... and it's from the manufacturer.

Although I'd be somewhat concerned about water getting in otherwise I think it's OK. One nice thing about living out west is the zoning/inspection Nazi's are easier to deal with.

mepellet said:
Is that smoke from startup or after the stove has been running for a little while?

I threw some extra pellets in the pot for the pics, just screwing around. I get a little smoke inside the firebox at startup, as my manual says it does, and as soon as it lights it clears instant.

Status
Not open for further replies.