In Chicago, wood heat can be expensive...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RickBlaine

Burning Hunk
Jan 12, 2014
Chicago
Local place charges $864 for 3 Face cords (that is 1 cord) of wood, delivered. But only $708 if you pick it up yourself. Such a deal....Craigslist sellers usually sell for about $400 - $500 delivered, but you REALLY have to make sure it is a true 4 x 8 x 4 foot size, because most around here don't know what a true cord of wood is. ( I was like that last year- still a newbie but I am up all night studying). As for "seasoning"- forget it. All this wood was cut and split in August/September of this year. Giant piles do not equal "stacking". Moisture meter indicates 25% -30%!

We have natural gas heat in Chicago, so wood heat is kind of a novelty. Most wood buyers burn in a traditional open fireplace- so it is not for heat, but for ambiance. You have to be creative to find lower priced wood, or at least tough up and make your own.

DSC06337.JPG DSC06338.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel for you, but at least you have access to some nice hardwoods. I just bought a half cord of fir from a local mill that was cut to length (16") and delivered for $100. All I have to do is split, stack and burn. The fir is seasoned (<20% moisture), but it burns quick. The only person I know who sells hardwood in my corner of the world is selling birch for $725 a cord.

Wow, that's insane. We've had so many wind storms around our area in 2013 that there is a glut of firewood. Of course, it's all seasoned too - one year:rolleyes: I've got way more wood than I could ever use but at $70 or less per face cord, it's not worth my time and effort to sell it.

Just saw this ad:
For Sale. Large amount of seasoned firewood in 1 - 8' lengths. $20 Face Cord.

Lots of ads for free firewood if you cut & split it yourself.

Would it be worth it to drive a pickup out to more rural areas and stock up. At these prices, all nighters or Niels are definitely preferable.

I was talking to my friend yesterday his brother has a landscaping business so he sells wood on the side. He sold already 14 cords of wet wood split and delivered $240 a cord. That's insane when I can get Eco Bricks for $260.

Wow! You're on the wrong side of the pond! $864 a cord!!! Head east two hours. $155, and 18-20% MM, red oak, delivered. Yes a true 128 cu ft cord. I grant you my wood tick is also a friend/neighbor, but my discount is very little.

Reactions: RickBlaine
Spletz- I may have to rent a good sized U-Haul, pay the per mile up-charge, and pick up 3 cords next Spring. That is cheap!

Those prices are insane! I envision a Seinfeld episode of running wood out of Michigan as opposed to running returnables into Michigan!!!

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
Wow! You're on the wrong side of the pond! $864 a cord!!! Head east two hours. $155, and 18-20% MM, red oak, delivered. Yes a true 128 cu ft cord. I grant you my wood tick is also a friend/neighbor, but my discount is very little.
If you shop around in the off-season around here you can get a full cord of "seasoned" (cut and split 3 weeks ago) hardwoods for $120 or $135 per cord ($40 or $45 per "rick")...

Reactions: RickBlaine
Maple and birch are more than oak. Oak is much better firewood. Some weird, expensive Yankee firewood.
And, on the back side of the brochure, a lesson on "How to Start a Fire." Some valuable info in Chicago, I guess.

And, on the back side of the brochure, a lesson on "How to Start a Fire." Some valuable info in Chicago, I guess.

Step 1 on how to start a fire) Find Mrs. O'Leary's cow? ;)

Wow. I googled a little, the oak (if red or red hybrid) works out to about $300 per ton now. Two years from now when it is seasoned (I guess, I don't have any oak to cut, but most of you are seasoning oak two years...)

Once it is dry, ass/u/me-ing you don't mind having part of your lawn tied up your BTU for BTU price is about equal to propane at 1.92/ gallon or electricity at 8.9cents / kwh or natural gas at 21.87 / 1000cf or #2 oil at 3.05/ gallon. According to my forest service fuel value calculator anyway.

I am paying 3.80 for #2 myself, but no, even if they were willing to deliver to Alaska at that price, I wouldn't pay that much for oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.