In dire need of recommendations for 1st time user.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
u may as well wait and see if u can get a better price during the off season. it sounded like your not in a very cold area compared to where I am. is your home well insulated?
u might get a Harman that's apparently the cat's ass for the price of the m55.

u may as well wait and see if u can get a better price during the off season. it sounded like your not in a very cold area compared to where I am. is your home well insulated?

The home is only 4 months old, new built. Not very sure of the insulation specs, but I can assume that they are no worst then city code and no better.
Pinetop Arizona.

What is your elevation there? Something that may have to be adjusted for in your installation - depending on where you sit.

Edit: 7200' above sea level.

http://nevelsstoves.com/pellet-stove-venting.html
A rule of thumb equation we are using has been adopted by most pellet manufactures. The equation is called the sum of Equivalent Vertical Length (EVL). All of the above mentioned venting restrictions have been assigned EVL values as follows:

1. Each 45 degree elbow = 3 EVL
  2. Each 90 degree elbow and Tees with cleanout = 5 EVL
  3. Each foot of horizontal run = 1 EVL
  4. Each foot of Vertical run = 0.5 EVL
  5. Elevations above 3000 ft with an EVL of 7 must adapt to 4 inch vent pipe.

Last edited:
What is your elevation there? Something that may have to be adjusted for in your installation - depending on where you sit.

Edit: 7200' above sea level.

http://nevelsstoves.com/pellet-stove-venting.html
A rule of thumb equation we are using has been adopted by most pellet manufactures. The equation is called the sum of Equivalent Vertical Length (EVL). All of the above mentioned venting restrictions have been assigned EVL values as follows:

1. Each 45 degree elbow = 3 EVL
  2. Each 90 degree elbow and Tees with cleanout = 5 EVL
  3. Each foot of horizontal run = 1 EVL
  4. Each foot of Vertical run = 0.5 EVL
  5. Elevations above 3000 ft with an EVL of 7 must adapt to 4 inch vent pipe.

I beleive Pinetop AZ is about 6800 ft above sea

WE have two used Whitfields

Paid $200 each off craigs list

All told I have about $600 in the one with a complete makeover that included a raised hearth, wall treatment, vent system and a mantle too.

The other one was complete and cost me very little over the $200, just a thimble and my labor.

Good deals out there, just shop a bit

My feelings are, age means little and condition is everything.

Just stick with a make and model that parts are still available, even if its aftermarket.

Here are a couple pix
Large whit with hearth and mantle
Little whit with floor pad and short through the wall.

Best
Snowy

Attachments

• Advantage II.JPG
    Advantage II.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Prodigy.JPG
    Prodigy.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
looking at your temperatures in Arizona..... u don't need a pellet stove..its going to take u a life time to break even. (if your younger than 30) so obviously your not doing this to save money.

You would be MUCH better off investigating mini-split ductless heat pumps, which are very efficient and becoming very popular.

Reactions: maple1
Status
Not open for further replies.