In home consulatation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jslinger

Jan 1, 2013
Vermont
I just had an in home consultation from the owner of the local Harman dealer. I was very pleased, as most of you indicated, that he didn't just try to get me to buy the most expensive stove. Our home is 10 years old, 1800 square feet, and 1436 square feet (with rarely used guest room doors closed). He recommended the P43. He knew I was interested in the xxv, but said that the P43 would be enough to do the job.
Getting married in July, so I will have to wait until late summer to buy it. But I am very excited.
He quoted me $3500 installed. But my father has installed two in his house, so I will save around $400 doing that myself. Does $3100 with all piping seem like a fair price?

Just a FYI my homeowners required installation by a licensed installer. May want to check with yours. MSRP $2829 plus tax and whats your venting options? pretty simple?

Right now there is $100 off coupon and they are throwing in a $300 accessory kit.

Thank you for the heads up. I will check with our insurance company. The dealer recommended straight out the wall, and up the outside. He said doing it that way will allow the OAK to go through the same hole in the wall. But I like the look of the exhaust going up on the inside, plus the added heat radiating off the pipe inside the house is a plus. But he told me, I would have to have an additional hole for the OAK if I do it that way. He included the $100 off in the price.

I agree with the look of the pipe, gives it a bit more charecter but the heat off the pipe benifit it not going to help.1 foot from the stove my exhaust pipe is a luke warm 95 degrees with my trusty infrared digital themometer.

Are you getting a ton of pellets with that? Installing it is easy. I live in a part of PA that has no requirements what-so-ever when it comes to home ownership. A bit scary with what people do as a result, but I also dont have to be bothered by bureaucratic non-sense. Plus my wife's side of the family has no shortage of handy people. Good luck, you are going to really enjoy it. And good luck with the wedding. My wife and I were in a similar predicament, but paying 500/month in electric bills for a heat pump was not an option for us.

They offer either $275 back or a free ton of pellets. I went with the money, since I will be buying a different brand of pellets than the brand they sell. So I am gathering that, the effects of the vent pipe on adding additional heat are minimal?

Thank you for the heads up. I will check with our insurance company. The dealer recommended straight out the wall, and up the outside. He said doing it that way will allow the OAK to go through the same hole in the wall. But I like the look of the exhaust going up on the inside, plus the added heat radiating off the pipe inside the house is a plus. But he told me, I would have to have an additional hole for the OAK if I do it that way. He included the $100 off in the price.

Could always use Selkirk DT. Concentric type of venting that is about 6". Looks similar to wood stove venting. I suggest doing an up and out venting install so if you ever change out the stove you will be able to reuse the hole.

They offer either $275 back or a free ton of pellets. I went with the money, since I will be buying a different brand of pellets than the brand they sell. So I am gathering that, the effects of the vent pipe on adding additional heat are minimal?

Why don't you just apply the $275 towards the installation and ask someone to kick in the extra $125 as a wedding gift? I know you may be handy, but if you screw it up you can only complain to you. Plus you're looking at installing it in August? No shortage of short tempers when the mercury outside is in the high 90's. I could see if you were going to save a g-note on the self install, but for $400, let the pros do the install and you sit back with a cold adult beverage (or 5 or 6) and ask them questions you already know the answers to from reading the posts on this forum. Just my humble opinion. Congrats on the upcoming wedding.

Thanks everyone. I guess I will talk with my dad and see what he thinks. He may not have time to help me anyway. It may be good to pay to have it installed, since they will go over everything with me.
I am glad I have this to keep me busy while my fiance does all of the wedding planning. Being a guy has never been so great!
I appreciate all of the help and well wishes.

I agree with Mike D have the pro's install it. If you have any problems with the stove. (Its a harman so i doubt you will) at least they did everything and they cant blame the install for causing the problem. Just my opinion. congratulations on the wedding and More importantly the stove lol

It's wise not cut dollars from the dealers pocket, don't get me wrong I'm saying sign your life savings over.

Customers who use my chemicals, equipment etc... They can call me on July 3rd to help out with July 4th party pool problems.. Those who " chew contractors" are last in line..

Ie, sounds like you are impressed with dealer &. He didn't try to bang you over the head, send an extra sale his way, and I bet you will have a Johnny on the spot service guy

Don't forget the accessories. The trim kit can really make the stove look great. Put em on the gift list! I'm sure others here can start a stove must have list like a ash vac etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.