in-line duct fan question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brooktrout

Dec 23, 2007
Hamden, NY
I installed an in-line duct fan to boost warm air upstairs, but I'm dissapointed in the fan itself- it's really loud, and it doesn't seem to be moving much air, even though it's rated for 250cfm. The fan is mounted behind the register in the ceiling above the stove room. From there the 6" flex duct goes approx. three feet into the upstairs bedroom. The brand is suncourt. Any suggestions?

Send it back.

You have to be careful about the CFM rating on boost fans. Alot of times they give you the boosted rating and that assumes you put inline with a forced air furnace. If it's the only blower on the duct work, then the CFM drops alot.

karl said:
You have to be careful about the CFM rating on boost fans. Alot of times they give you the boosted rating and that assumes you put inline with a forced air furnace. If it's the only blower on the duct work, then the CFM drops alot.
Thanks for that advice- I wasn't aware of that. I found a Panasonic Whisperquiet in-line fan that may be a better solution, though it is $120, compared to $30 for this one. I guess I shouldn't have expected too much for $30.

Yeah - the get what you pay for adage is quite true oftentimes.

I tried a Vortex 6" that I borrowed from my orchid room and it worked extremely well, but sadly the plants needed it more, plus the noise was just too much.
I know it's not designed for this application but the 450cfm was more than adequate :gulp:

brooktrout said:
I installed an in-line duct fan to boost warm air upstairs, but I'm dissapointed in the fan itself- it's really loud, and it doesn't seem to be moving much air, even though it's rated for 250cfm. The fan is mounted behind the register in the ceiling above the stove room. From there the 6" flex duct goes approx. three feet into the upstairs bedroom. The brand is suncourt. Any suggestions?

Hi Brook,
I made the same mistake a couple of years ago. That Suncourt fan is basically a toy.

I built a heat recycling system from my atrium room where I teach guitar, and ducted it to my Living room/dining room area. The fan I decided on is one that I've also been using for my bathroom ventilation system. It is the real deal.

http://www.hvacquick.com/subproducts.php?prod=RESIDENTIALFAN

I have one of the FR series units hooked up in a large closet ceiling area in the atrium. When the heat from my wood stove triggers the thermostat I installed, it turns on the fan (which is on a variable speed rheostat) and the excess heat is vented upstairs.

The fan is pretty quiet on lower speeds, but the vent size and grill cover greatly affect how loud or soft it can be made.

Best regards,
Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.