In-line duct fan w/auto-safety shutoff?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

severtki

Aug 10, 2008
Upstate NY
Our woodstove is in a back room with a cathedral ceiling that is not connected to the upstairs of the rest of the house, though it shares a common wall. I'd like to add a simple 6" duct with an in-line fan to blow hot air from the warm room through the wall to the cold upstairs of the rest of the house.

I've been advised, and I seem to remember reading something about it on this forum once upon a time, to buy an auto-shutoff damper system in case of fire so that the duct doesn't shoot smoke or other vapors into the sleeping area of the house. I would guess it shuts the damper closed automatically at 160 degrees or similar temp.

Could anyone point me to a product/manufacturer for this kind of thing? I've checked the most obvious places and no luck so far.

Thanks!
k

Thanks for the quick reply and the link! Doesn't have a lot of information on it, though -- vertical or horizontal installation OK?

I'm assuming that when the fuse link hits a certain temp (160?) it melts and shuts the duct off by gravity. It is a lot cheaper than what I was told it would cost -- which is great, of course! -- but does make me wonder if there's any reason to spend more?

Thanks again,
k

That's not a fan, just a fire damper. Probably no built-in provision for shutting off power to an in-line fan. Rick

severtki said:
Thanks for the quick reply and the link! Doesn't have a lot of information on it, though -- vertical or horizontal installation OK?
Yes approved for both. Theres a tag inside with directional arrow.

I'm assuming that when the fuse link hits a certain temp (160?) it melts and shuts the duct off by gravity. It is a lot cheaper than what I was told it would cost -- which is great, of course! -- but does make me wonder if there's any reason to spend more?
Yeap fuse link, it holds a spring loaded accordion type metal door that springs closed when the fuse link melts. Its about $85.00 or more from a manufacturer dealer.
It is only the fire damper, fan is a separate thing. I got 2- 6" fantech fans for about $130.00 each. They put out serious air & are overload protected and will shut done & reset. Meaning they are set to shut down at a certain over load, which a fire is sure to cause at a point. Good for a fire, they will shut down, and will not go back on if they burn or electrical burns up. The cheaper inline fans are a one & done overload protection, so if you by accident short them they are toast. The cheaper ones are NOT speed switch controllable, the higher priced ones like I bought are, and I have both on fan speed controller switches.

Thanks again,
k

Thanks -- this helps a lot. I purchased a Fantech 6" fan, speed control switch, and the fire damper from your link. Total for everything was just over $200, but I think worth it for the heat it will kick out.

I'm measuring everything I spend on this project in gallons of fuel oil -- so the ductwork cost me about 40 gallons... (8 days' worth before woodstove)
k

Status
Not open for further replies.