in my store I have 0 stoves in inventory...trust me, that's the best number to have.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you said...
I guess it means you have no sitting inventory, so the folks who want to buy one today are out of luck? You might counter that those sales are inconsequential.....in fact, they are not. If you have no stoves, then you have no stoves to sell either........what happens if a shipment is delayed? what happens when the DIYer comes in to install his own (and nom, they OFTEN don't plan ahead....)?

I hear ya, but I have the distributor 22 miles from my shop. It's pretty easy to send out the van and have it in the morning.

In todays market "lean" is in. Probably could have one popular stove on site just to show and tell. But with the warehouse that close to you, I agree. As few as possible to keep the invested dollars low. Most likely better off keeping a big fat parts inventory.

If you take a poll, Most likely it will be on the side of many won't mind waiting a day or so for the unit. What will most likely be the bottle neck is the scheduling of installation anyway?

Reactions: pelletdude
In todays market "lean" is in. Probably could have one popular stove on site just to show and tell. But with the warehouse that close to you, I agree. As few as possible to keep the invested dollars low. Most likely better off keeping a big fat parts inventory.

If you take a poll, Most likely it will be on the side of many won't mind waiting a day or so for the unit. What will most likely be the bottle neck is the scheduling of installation anyway?
Agreed

we'll see........experience doesn't mean much these days, granted, but the theoretical "on paper" ideas rarely bear out, mostly because of the unforeseen idiosyncrasies of dealing with the public.....can tell you though that some stove co's actually require you to stock material.....not familiar with your brands, so maybe, maybe not.........

Reactions: for what it's worth
Thought about this all day. I go to a STORE to SEE the product. If I don't need to see it, there's the internet. I never buy a high $ item without hands on, even testing it out. I even attended a chainsaw get together in NY last year, which made up my mind on the model Husqvarna I wanted.

Reactions: for what it's worth
you said...

I hear ya, but I have the distributor 22 miles from my shop. It's pretty easy to send out the van and have it in the morning.

I give up, what brand and what warehouse is 22 miles away?

Red circle is approx 22 miles from Rehoboth.
Click map to enlarge:

Attachments

• Rehoboth22MilesAway.jpg
    Rehoboth22MilesAway.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 80
I run a small independent company in the business equipment industry (copiers, MFP etc). We no longer stock new inventory. On site demos are a thing of the past and we now order direct from the manufacture when an order is placed. More administrative work for me than placing less, larger orders, but much more cost effective than being stuck with inventory that is siting in the warehouse. We have set pricing from the manufacture so larger order discounts dont apply. Of course, this way everything is a rush and back orders can be an issue.

As long as you have floor models for the "hands on" experience, you should be OK. But if there is another run on stoves like 2008, that may leave you out of some sales for that year if customers can go elsewhere where they have stock.

I bought a stove last year from a dealer that only had it's brethren in stock....and I waited 3 weeks for it to be delivered to the stove shop.
I think the majority of today's consumers have done their research on line and know what they are looking to buy.

Enviro, Russo Products, Randolph, MA...it may be in fact 23 miles away, I know how you like to cross your t's

Ok, I thought of Russo products about 32 miles away. Anyway, they have those Russo Wood stoves for many years which are really good right? Also the Black Olive grills for pellets. Anything else for wood pellets besides Enviro? Do you know what their Enviro territory is? I do not believe they have all of MA on that? Are they a big Distributor?

http://www.russoproducts.com/

Distributors are great for small dealers with limited capital. However, if you talk to your accountant he will probably tell you your break even margins is 35% to 40% to take care of the overhead. It means in order to make a living wage you have to invoice at 5% - 10% above your break even.

Many distributors provide 35% to 40% margins from list. Also, many of them are running lean and not keeping the stock they used to. So they have to order from the MFG when you place an order (I'm grossly generalizing here and maybe your distributor is better than that). Basically they are fading out their own reason of being as the third party (always on stock, immediate delivery, service etc...).

That's why you may want to consider brands that are MFG direct along with your other brands if you can. It typically provides for higher margins (no middle man) but there may be other factors involved (commitments). But this way you get your bases covered.

Distributors are great for small dealers with limited capital. However, if you talk to your accountant he will probably tell you your break even margins is 35% to 40% to take care of the overhead. It means in order to make a living wage you have to invoice at 5% - 10% above your break even.

Many distributors provide 35% to 40% margins from list. Also, many of them are running lean and not keeping the stock they used to. So they have to order from the MFG when you place an order (I'm grossly generalizing here and maybe your distributor is better than that). Basically they are fading out their own reason of being as the third party (always on stock, immediate delivery, service etc...).

That's why you may want to consider brands that are MFG direct along with your other brands if you can. It typically provides for higher margins (no middle man) but there may be other factors involved (commitments). But this way you get your bases covered.

good info

Ok, I thought of Russo products about 32 miles away. Anyway, they have those Russo Wood stoves for many years which are really good right? Also the Black Olive grills for pellets. Anything else for wood pellets besides Enviro? Do you know what their Enviro territory is? I do not believe they have all of MA on that? Are they a big Distributor?

http://www.russoproducts.com/

they have all of New England, you should know...you 're the Enviro parts dealer right?

Status
Not open for further replies.