In need of a new liner...suggestions ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acesneights1

Oct 18, 2008
North East CT
Ok, this was my original thread but I can't seem to post in it. Basically I feel at this point the liner is junk. The seams are coming apart more every time I clean it and I would feel better replacing it. I am looking at a few companies and see they make rigid liner kits.
I don't wanna deal with this again.
Basically my house is a one story ranch. Liner is around 18 ft I think. I came down the chimney last time as far I could but could not make the bend around the fireplace flue and did not want to chop it out and destroy the flue box in case a future owner wants the fireplace instead so I stopped at the top of the flue with the liner and used 2 45deg black pipe bends to get around the flue then a 90deg out of the fireplace to the horizontal termination on the woodstove(Jotul Oslo). It has been working good for about 6 years or so but I always wondered if it was ok to have that many bends. What should I do this time different if anything and should I go rigid or hopefully just get a better flexible one ? The rigid one to me looks better and easier to install?

The rigid one to me looks better and easier to install?
Rigid is absolutely not easier to install and Is not much if any better than heavy wall flex liner. What type of liner do you have in there now? Did you look into getting some credit for it under warantee?

Rigid is absolutely not easier to install and Is not much if any better than heavy wall flex liner. What type of liner do you have in there now? Did you look into getting some credit for it under warantee?
I could not find the receipt and of course CLD had no record of my purchase. I honestly don't remember what I bought, but I am pretty sure it was supposed to be rated for a woodstove.

The only reason I was leaning toward rigid is I don't want to rip the seams like this one did. I clean mine 2-3x a year due to the amount of wood I burn.

The only reason I was leaning toward rigid is I don't want to rip the seams like this one did.
We install about 80 liners a year and have yet to have one rip at the seams once installed. You either got a very poor quality liner or got the wrong type. Could you possibly post a pic of the liner and what you are referring to as ripping apart at the seams?

This is my current install. Was this ok the way I did the bends around the flue ?
The insulation I used was direct contact Rockwool.

Attachments

• 90 deg bend.JPG
    90 deg bend.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 169
  • bends.JPG
    bends.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 183
We install about 80 liners a year and have yet to have one rip at the seams once installed. You either got a very poor quality liner or got the wrong type. Could you possibly post a pic of the liner and what you are referring to as ripping apart at the seams?
These pics are from 3 yrs ago. it looks much worse now. Everytime I clean it the seams peel open more. The one all the way down is getting even bigger.

Attachments

• DSCF0013.JPG
    DSCF0013.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 197
  • DSCF0014.JPG
    DSCF0014.JPG
    243.4 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCF0015.JPG
    DSCF0015.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCF0012.JPG
    DSCF0012.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 164
btw, the seams that peeled up that I could reach with my hand, I could push back with one finger.

These pics are from 3 yrs ago. it looks much worse now. Everytime I clean it the seams peel open more.
that is what i thought. That is the 2 ply smooth wall liner. It is the least durable liner available. We have installed 3 of them and have pulled and replaced all of them at our cost. The most durable solution for you would be a heavy wall flexible liner. And don't transition to black pipe until you get into the firebox. Even then I would recommend stainless painted black if it is visible.

ok, so I bought junk (I figured as much)and when I do it again the bends going around the flue need to be stainless.
But other than that the way I went around the flue is ok ? I really don't wanna cut the flue with a sawzall...
Any brands or specs you would recommend ?

ok, so I bought junk (I figured as much)and when I do it again the bends going around the flue need to be stainless.
But other than that the way I went around the flue is ok ? I really don't wanna cut the flue with a sawzall...
Any brands or specs you would recommend ?
Well I would bring the flex liner down into the firebox to a tee and then into the stove And yes if need be I would cut the damper frame. I almost always make sure it can be reassembled if someone wants to go back to a fireplace. But honestly in 38 years of business we have only put 3 back to an open fireplace after an insert. And yes you bought junk. any other type of liner will be more durable than that but what we use is heavy wall flexible liner. We use olympia armor flex but there are many other good manufacturers out there.

Well I would bring the flex liner down into the firebox to a tee and then into the stove And yes if need be I would cut the damper frame. I almost always make sure it can be reassembled if someone wants to go back to a fireplace. But honestly in 38 years of business we have only put 3 back to an open fireplace after an insert. And yes you bought junk. any other type of liner will be more durable than that but what we use is heavy wall flexible liner. We use olympia armor flex but there are many other good manufacturers out there.
Actually in all honesty I doubt it could ever be used as a fireplace again anyway. The firebox has a rot hole in one corner. Maybe I will just cut it this time.
This company was a pop up ad here so I assume it's ok to post a link...Would this be ok ?
https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.c...exible-stainless-steel-chimney-liner-only.php

That one only comes in 25ft or bigger. I need a 20 ft. I might go wioth the Rockford one for now . Like you said, better than what I have and it will buy me a few years I guess. That's why I was leaning toward the 304L rigid because I can get it in 4 ft sections.

That one only comes in 25ft or bigger. I need a 20 ft. I might go wioth the Rockford one for now . Like you said, better than what I have and it will buy me a few years I guess. That's why I was leaning toward the 304L rigid because I can get it in 4 ft sections.
I am sure you could get it in 20'. But there are lots of other heavy wall flex liners available from other places that was just the first one I found. But a regular single wall light wall liner will hold up much better than the one you have. I would expect 15 years plus out of light wall. 30 years plus out of heavy wall.

If you go rigid, be sure to use stainless steel rivets to join the sections. I prefer rigid over thin wall liner, but that's just my preference.

If you go rigid, be sure to use stainless steel rivets to join the sections. I prefer rigid over thin wall liner, but that's just my preference.
Even for a insert install? I prefer heavy flex over either rigid or light wall. But again preference not saying it is right.

Reactions: edthesweep
ok, Thanks for your help. I will call and see if I can get the heavy wall in a smaller size. I hate throwing away 8+ feet of it when it's so expensive to start with. I won't be in his house in 15 yrs. That much I am sure of. I hope to be deep in the woods of New Hampshire...:)

ok, Thanks for your help. I will call and see if I can get the heavy wall in a smaller size. I hate throwing away 8+ feet of it when it's so expensive to start with. I won't be in his house in 15 yrs. That much I am sure of. I hope to be deep in the woods of New Hampshire...:)
In that case I would just use light wall.

Even for a insert install? I prefer heavy flex over either rigid or light wall. But again preference not saying it is right.

I agree. Same performance. No need for elbows. thicker. Faster/easier install!

Reactions: bholler
Status
Not open for further replies.