"In Series"-Is it really that simple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

strmh

May 24, 2008
Northern Maine
I'll be connecting my EKO in series with my oil boiler.

After much searching and reading, it sounds like it's a fairly straight forward connection.

Is it really as easy as T-ing in the feed from the EKO to the top of the OB, and doing the same with the return.....then let everything after the OB just work as it always has?

Is there a chance that the supply from the EKO will just pass through the OB and return without making to the zone manifold? (sorry if this is a no-brainer, I just want to be sure)

You almost have the concept. The heat supply of the EKO goes to the Oil return and the Oil supply to the EKO return. The problem with this scheme is that when zones are on the return water mixes with the heat from the EKO and the available temp drops in the Oil boiler by 10-20* per zone. If you get enough zones on at once, then there is no heat for the house even though the EKO is up to temp. I have had a series hookup for a number of years and I am abandoning it next summer. I would suggest using a primary/secondary loop scheme or a hydraulic separator.

WoodNotOil,

Thanks for the advice.....

Do you plan to post your new design scheme (primary/secondary) on your site?

I haven't looked into the concept here yet......other than the sticky......

Thanks for the link......i like the idea of the separator. It looks like it could fit easily into my existing setup.

I'm wondering if the separator should be installed before i tie into my oil boiler, or after?

Caleffi has some pretty good information, but I can't seem to find a supplier.

The separator is mounted vertically so it is tall. On the left side top goes a manifold with the WB and OB supplies going into it. Left side bottom is the WB and OB returns. Right top is the zone supply manifold and right bottom is the zone return manifold. (as far as I understand it) I suppose you could probably switch the right and left sides too. It is symmetrical. The large vertical column acts as the primary loop and the manifolds on either side act as secondary loops. A pretty good solution if you ask me.

Look in the Yellow Pages under heating equipment wholsalers. They are the places contractors get their stuff from and they will sell directly to you. Usually they will knock some of the price off too. I haven't gotten any quotes yet, so if you get a ballpark let me know what they go for. Someone on here made one recently out of 3" copper pipe. Not sure I have the skills for that though...

I saw the 3" copper version, I'm with you.....not sure I have what it takes.

Another reason to go for the separator is I'm looking to have a fairly quick cutover versus taking a long time to build something from scratch........I don't want to be without heat for too long.

I'll see what I can find for prices/supplier and let you know...

Status
Not open for further replies.