In the 40's tonite - think I will have the first burn here in WV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayakkeith

Sep 20, 2010
West Virginia
Gonna fire it up tonite - cold spell doesnt look like its lasting though

It was in the low 50's here last night in the Detroit suburbs. However, in the Northern Lower Peninsula they were reporting temps around 37-39 degrees. It won't be long.......

kayakkeith said:

Take it easy with those first burns. I plan on doing break-in fires on my Keystone at the beginning of every burning season. I think the stones can absorbe moisture during the high humidity summer.

The Keystone is to nice of a stove to crack a stone without doing a series of break-in fires.

Good luck,
Bill

Don't think I'll be burning any time soon, highs still in the 70-80's. I'm going to try and wait til it cools down to the 50's or low 60's. September is usually the start of those take the chill off fires and mid to late Oct I go 24/7.

A low temperature in the 40's won't cause us to light a fire. Has to get a bit colder than that. We'll wait about another month...I hope.

There always is a temptation to burn early, but winter is long around here
(as it was last year), so I may need all the wood I have, to just get by.......

yea - I could probably get away with not lighting but want to try out the new chimney

What the heck, fire it up, Better to test it now than find out later when it's cold that you need to make some changes. If it gets too hot open the windows or turn on the A/C.

we are all getting those itchy trigger (lighter) fingers for the upcoming season. Some will be there sooner than the others, how jealous I will be.

we had 43f this a.m. here in the good'ol up. no fire-of course, still a bit early and warm enough on the inside....but you know there weren't many windows open overnight!
the rush for fall projects has started.
99's storage shed had to be raised and a new concrete floor poured for it-then set back down on the slab. tonight, i put a new entrance door on it. next is two windows, then new siding. oh yeah, reconnect the electric too.

I will hold out long as i can, I cut and spilt my own wood and want to make it go as long as i can.

got it fired up with a nice small fire and kicked the cat in- cruised it at 400 for a bit and just fed a couple small splits in for overnite - wont have to worry about a chilly house in morning as the soapstone should hold hit for awhile - no fire tomorrow or for a few days as it is supposed to get warmer but at least I know the new chimney works well -its 77 in the living room but whats nice is no dampness and nice dry warmth for once this summer

kayakkeith said:

Light her up, you might use 6-7 splits not a big deal.

zap

kayakkeith said:
got it fired up with a nice small fire and kicked the cat in- cruised it at 400 for a bit and just fed a couple small splits in for overnite - wont have to worry about a chilly house in morning as the soapstone should hold hit for awhile - no fire tomorrow or for a few days as it is supposed to get warmer but at least I know the new chimney works well -its 77 in the living room but whats nice is no dampness and nice dry warmth for once this summer

OK. You have the lower 48 award for first fire of 2011. Glad that one is out of the way. :lol: It is down to sixty four out there right now. What a difference one day made.

After 50 days of hot and steamy I walked out this evening in the shorts and t-shirt and got chilly. At 72 degrees. :red: Reminded me of Vietnam. So hot and humid that if it got to 70 at night we were "freezing".

But 90 is coming again in a few days.

yep low of 44 last nite - nice thing about soapstone the temp has 250 this morning with basically no coals left but no chill in house - that should be it for a few days as its supposed to get warm again and high 50's at nite

Cooler weather here just means good sleeping weather . . . not at all itchy to start burning in the Oslo . . . there will be plenty of time for burning . . . for now I am still sleeping with the window open . . . but using a comforter now instead of just a single blanket.

Damn Keith...we still had our windows open last night. Now I know why your wife thinks your crazy :lol:

What part of WV do you live in? I live about 30 minutes from the WV and Ohio border and slept with my windows open last night and a fan running in the window above the bed, lol

kayakkeith said:
yep low of 44 last nite - nice thing about soapstone the temp has 250 this morning with basically no coals left but no chill in house - that should be it for a few days as its supposed to get warm again and high 50's at nite

Um, at this point I'm looking for a chill in the house.

yep I am the crazy one - live up in Davis- 3300ft - it wasnt a huge fire just enough to engage cat and let it ride overnite. not a bunch of wood just a few splits - basically the house would have been about 65degrees with out fire but it stayed about 73 overnite - had windows open as well.

At least now I know when it gets cold everything with the new chimney
is working great

Haven't seen a low out of the 80's in two months. Can't imagine firing up the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.