In the market for a new splitter. Recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

M@dMinute

Sep 17, 2014
Southwest OH
My old 18 ton splitter with a Wisconsin engine I inherited from my grandpa is getting a new home. He is still alive, just has breathing problems and can't split himself anymore. I was splitting for both of us. He does still heat his house with mainly wood. He did a trade with the splitter to have a few large Ash trees cut down, chopped, and split for his own use. Those emerald ash borers sure do make a lot of firewood in my area.

He said he wants to get a new one since the other was so old to pass on to me (I guess because we both love fire/firewood). I have many memories on that old one when I was little little, he loaded and let me work the handle. Kinda sad to see it go.

He asked me to do some research on what was good. He said he would like to be in the $1500 or below range and around 30 tons. Vertical & horizontal capabilities.

I saw the 27ton Ariens on home depots site which looks pretty decent. Anybody have recommendations?

As a user of a large tonnage machine I would have to caution you to do your homework. Not all big machines are created equal. It takes the proper engine/pump combo to maintain decent stroke speed.

The other point I would like to make/ask...why a 30 ton? I do because I deal with some very large, very tough to split stuff. Most folks find a 22 ton to be more than adequate for 99.9% of anything they are trying to split. Just pointing it out, not trying to steer you away from a 30.

For the record - the Ariens has a pretty good reputation. Again, watch the stroke speed.

Reactions: triptester
why a 30 ton?
My grandpa is buying it, he is a little stubborn and that's what he said he wanted. :)

It is really not worth trying to argue with him about it, I can always try to persuade him if I know my stuff that's why I'm asking. Honestly I was even surprised when he asked me to do some research. The last maple tree I did, I borrowed a 22 ton husky from his neighbor to use vertically, much slower than the 18ton and it struggled through the big stuff. It did do the job though, he was watching me, I think that is why he wants a 30.

Also I do have a little knowledge of hydraulics. That is what I do for a job, but they really don't say much on their product pages about the cylinder/bore/stroke or pump. They just tell you cycle time, which who knows how accurate that is.

That's why I'm looking for recommendations, pictures below give you and idea of the size trees I am dealing with. My dad had to help me move some of the pieces.

Attachments

• splitter.jpg
    splitter.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 222
  • splitter2.jpg
    splitter2.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 197
  • splitter3.jpg
    splitter3.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 208
  • splitter4.jpg
    splitter4.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Good enough.
Most splitters will have a spec sheet available. As you know, match the pump to the cylinder. There will be a vast difference in speeds using a 4.5" cylinder with an 11 GPM pump when compared to a 5" and 16 GPM pump. Or even a 4.5" and 16 GPM pump.

I run a 5" and 16 GPM pump. I would not go any slower. Matter of fact, if the pump ever pukes, I will be going to a 28 GPM pump, but you gotta go big bucks to find that in a factory splitter.

I've ran 3 splitters, so I'll comment on them only. The 22 ton Huskee I loved - nice cycle time and split anything I had, including American elm. The 27 Ton Troy-Bilt I have no complaints and currently own this machine. Have never found a piece of wood it wouldn't split and I've gotten dropped of 36" + diameter sugar maple with some gnarly knots. Lastly, the 27 ton Ariens. This machine is a close friends, and we have actually stalled it in 2 different pieces of wood. Aside from those instances, it's a good machine. I've split aprox 15 cords with my Troy Bilt, so I can vouch for it being solid.

I am also going to start my search for a splitter. I haven't done too much looking around but are they any deals/specials out there right now? Also, does anyone know if there is a best time of the year to purchase a splitter? Right after winter? Late fall?

new_wood it is good to see another local guy on here. I am in Morrow.

Another option to research is the electric splitters. Most of the major manufacturers now carry them. For older folks I think they are the bomb. I turn 70 this year and when the time came to replace mine, I went electric over hydraulic. Plug it in, flip the switch and you are in business.

Reactions: Lakeside
You would do well to look into the Dirty Hands Splitter. I have split about 8 cord so far and that thing is a beast. Look on "You Tube" and see how the machine works. There are a plenty of demonstrations on there for wood splitters. I have found that most wood splitters are good. Good Luck on your search.

I went electric over hydraulic. Plug it in, flip the switch and you are in business.

I would love for it to be quiet while splitting wood using an electric splitter. I could enjoy the woods a little more without all the noise... Unfortunately I would have to cut-load-unload-split-load-unload-stack. Instead of my current process of cut-split-load-unload-stack. Electricity is not close enough to my woods or all of my wood piles. Unless you count the high voltage lines the run through the back part of the woods.

I like the look of the troy built looks pretty equivalent to the ariens. Having run both which is quieter?

My Troy Bilt is a bit older than the Ariens, having said that - The Ariens was quieter, but I've never stalled my Troy out in a piece of wood like the Ariens. When it happened, I was very surprised, and then it happened again 15 minutes later dealing with the same wood.

My Troy Bilt is a bit older than the Ariens, having said that - The Ariens was quieter, but I've never stalled my Troy out in a piece of wood like the Ariens. When it happened, I was very surprised, and then it happened again 15 minutes later dealing with the same wood.

Could be needing a tune up. Can't blame a whole product line on one situation.

I bought a 27ton DHT splitter this fall, and I love the machine. I've cut nothing but tree tops with knots, crotches, etc. and found nothing will stop it. Menards is always running sales, and the company has been top notch for any warranty issues or customer service. We looked for a long time before settling on a dirty hand tools. Here recently for christmas, I also got a 4 way wedge for my splitter from my wife, and I will be trying it out. It's nice because it can be adjusted to 3 different heights to match larger rounds or with a single pin be converted to a single wedge. I've put at least 7 or 8 cord thru mine and love it.

We have a troybilt 27ton. Good splitter. We have had it for 5 or 6 years. Only stalled it once on a piece of elm. Had to take the saw after that one. My only complaint is the slow cycle speed. I think they rate it a 19sec.

I bought a 27ton DHT splitter this fall, and I love the machine. I've cut nothing but tree tops with knots, crotches, etc. and found nothing will stop it. Menards is always running sales, and the company has been top notch for any warranty issues or customer service. We looked for a long time before settling on a dirty hand tools. Here recently for christmas, I also got a 4 way wedge for my splitter from my wife, and I will be trying it out. It's nice because it can be adjusted to 3 different heights to match larger rounds or with a single pin be converted to a single wedge. I've put at least 7 or 8 cord thru mine and love it.

Just got the same one in December. Horrible winter so only got to split one oak so far. Another month and I'll be going to town. Can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.