In the market for an insert Pellet Stove - HELP!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

conservationseeker

Aug 24, 2008
Central MA
I'm looking for a good quality pellet insert to replace my existing propane insert fireplace in my home. I know I should have jumped on this band wagon sooner, but time is of essence and I want to purchase a good quality pellet thats quiet and won't break down on me. I am all ears for recommendations and dealers to check out. I'm in Central MA and would like to order one this week. Currently have oil and want to cut down on heating cost, naturally. I also hear thermostacally controlled are the best ones.??

Please any recommendations? best prices? installation recommendations? Is this an easy job switing from a vented propane to a pellet??

I appreciate any direction on this

Quadra-Fire's Classic Bay 1200I is a "modern" looking bay window design insert. The Lennox/Whitfield Profile 30 is similar. Englander's new insert looks like that as well but I haven't seen availability of it yet. A more "traditional" (even baroque) design would be the Quadra-Fire Castile insert - more like an old fashioned wood stove look. Napoleon's NPI-40 is a bit in between (boxy, flat window, not a bay window design).

There are others.

Check out your local dealers to see what they carry if you're going to need their help installing or servicing and go with what they have. If you can do it yourself (and if you're reasonably handy you should be able to do that) then options are wider. You can order the Englander from Home Depot but I don't know what the deliver timeframe will be. You can also try Southern Hearth and Patio (on the web) - they're a brick & mortar store down in Tennessee but will ship and a couple of us have had good luck with them in terms of prices & service.

Good luck.

Jim

Hi,

We purchased a Qaudra-Fire Mt. Vernon from the central mass dealer. The Mt. Vernon was the best one that we found to meet our needs and the thermostat is amazing. You can put an order in for one but you probibly will not see it untill next year. We waited 1.5 hrs to talk with a sales person and basically knew what we wanted prior to the conversation. Be prepaired for a shock regarding the demand for these products. Also are purchasing our pellets fro dellets direct out of Oxford, MA. All they do is Pellet stove's so the pricing was good and they service them as well.

I am in the same position as you, although i have a wood fireplace and and FHW heat (oil burner) with 2 zones (2000 sq ft Colonial). I looked at the Harmon and Quad Castile and Mt. Vernon. I can't fit the Harmon into my fireplace (off by 1 inch in the rear) so I'm down to the two Quad's. I just like the look of these stoves over the bay window type look.

I recieved one quote of $4294 for the Quad Castile insert with Cast Iron Surround installed with vent pipe up the chimney. I am going another dealer in central central mass on Firday to see what their cost for the same stove installed would be. I realize this stove will not be in this heating season, but I am getting things lined up for next season. Even if oil goes down this winter, I am still doing it because I will have immediate savings in oil usage.

My immdiate savings (when its installed) will be the fact that I no longer have to heat half of my house (on zone 1) that we never use. The stove will be installed in the Family room fireplace. The Kitchen is joined to the Family room so it will heat up nicly as well. The DR/LR might be 55 degrees and I don't care. We use it maybe twice in the winter so I'll crank it up and run my oil if it can't keep up. The upstairs gets heat from the downstairs natually. I may need to use some oil heat in the AM for showers, but's that's minor. My oil use on each floor (1st - 86%, 2nd - 14%). Staggering how much oil heat I generate and do not use in the LR and DR area!!

If I can eliminate oil heat on zone 1 and reduce the heating area by heating only the FR and Kitchen, I think my ROI will be within 2 to 3 yrs.

From what I've learned on this board, the Quad and Harmons are good quality stoves. Good luck!

Just wanted to throw tis out there.
I just boughta Breckwell p23 from Ruralking.com

If you are interested you can call Mark Sims at 1-800-561-1752
I paid 1850 deivered
shipping is a little higher if you have it liftgated to your house.
Good luck

Dear Daniel,
Thanks for your order from Rural King.
A brief summary of your order is below.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Order Summary:
Order ID:
Order Total:
Merchandise Total: $1,849.99
Discounts: $0.00
Sub-Total: $1,849.99
Local Tax: $0.00
State/Province Tax: $0.00
Country Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $0.00
Handling: $0.00
Order Total: $1,849.99