In the new home and thinking about the winter (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCounty

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 11, 2009
Southeast PA
Moved into the new home last Thursday and I am thinking about heating in the winter. It has an old wood insert. I don't know the make. Anyone help me out?? I am hoping this helps out much of the main part of the house.

There is a room added on the back. It is 21 X 17 with a cathedral ceiling. I am assuming it is well insulated because it was added in 07 but it is not connected to the main heating system. It has 2 electric baseboard heaters and they can run the bill up...quick. This room has a fireplace. It can be completely shut off of the remaining house with a door off the kitchen. Overall space is pushing a little over 400 sf. We want to make this room the family room and spend most of our time in this room.

My question is should I try a winter with the fireplace and see how it goes? Should I go with an insert in this room? Or can I do a stove if I extend the hearth? Width of fireplace is 34". Height is 30.5". Depth is 19". Wife and I both like the stoves. Funds are tight, but we also want something nice that will last as this is planning to be our home for years to come...I will be installing with friend.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 369
  • fireplace 2.jpg
    fireplace 2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 384
  • insert.jpg
    insert.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 371
Congrats on the new home and the two good looking fireplaces. Seems like you could pack a pretty good punch with the two of them. I would be inclined to make one of them the work horse and the other whatever your wife likes. If your goal is to heat the house, don't use the fireplace.

No idea what kind of insert you have there but maybe you could look for a plate on the back if you can remove the surround panels.

Time is running out for the fed tax credit so it's a good time to buy a new stove. If you could find a way to swing it, I'd look into a small Woodstock, rear vent it with a cleanout tee and full reline up the chimney. You also would only need 8" clearance in front since it's a side loader.

Random thoughts . . .

If you're planning on heating the place with those inserts . . . or something new . . . you really should have your wood already . . . it could be too late for this upcoming winter unless you happen to have a stash of seasoned wood hidden away somewhere . . . or luck out with a really, really good wood seller who has truly seasoned wood.

Fireplace . . . nice for ambiance, but not for heating a home. If you want the romantic ambiance and LL Bean catalog look, go with the fireplace and make sure you get a stack of white birch to pile beside the fireplace. If you want to heat your house go with good wood inserts or a free standing stove.

If both your wife and you like the inserts . . . I would see if these wood inserts are newer EPA inserts. If they are, I would keep them . . . if they are not I would consider replacing one or both of them with either a newer insert or a free standing stove (whichever type you and your wife like best . . . providing it fits) as the EPA stoves would serve you better in the long run . . . and while money may be tight this year I would try to buy it this year even if you don't burn this year to take advantage of the tax credit.

FJ, Thanks for the thoughts.

My father and I moved 3 cords from the old house the day prior to settlement. I left some for the people moving in but there was no way I was going into this winter without wood, especially since I split by hand.

Yes, we are looking to heat the house, or help a lot, with the insert already here and the fireplace. I realize fireplace are not the least efficient so that was why I was wondering on the insert of stove.

I want the stove. The wife thinks it will look funny in the fireplace.

BucksCounty said:

My father and I moved 3 cords from the old house the day prior to settlement. I left some for the people moving in but there was no way I was going into this winter without wood, especially since I split by hand.

Yes, we are looking to heat the house, or help a lot, with the insert already here and the fireplace. I realize fireplace are not the least efficient so that was why I was wondering on the insert of stove.

My wife didn't want a stove in our fireplace either (it is in the living room). I got an insert...

BucksCounty said:

Good thinking on your part . . . don't blame you at all.

As for the stove . . . you know for a long time I thought if I had a fireplace I would go with an insert, but now after having seen many fireplaces with extended hearths and hearth-mounted free-standing woodstoves I have come to change my mind a bit . . . if space isn't really tight and you're not sold on having to have something that kind of, sort of looks like a fireplace (and want the added heat/no blower needed option) I would go with a free-standing stove with a nice extended hearth . . . hearths are pretty easy to build . . . the key being to have a stove that you both like that fits the fireplace and the size of the home.

This said, maybe folks with some free-standing stoves in front of or in the fireplace would be willing to post some pics to show your wife what you could do in your home.

Status
Not open for further replies.