In this video, did they install an OAK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BKSinAZ

Jan 26, 2015
PineTop Arizona.
Noob here and attempting to learn. I would not know what an OAK looks like if it hit me over the head. About to purchase the Enviro M55 cast and now attempting to learn installation techniques. I will have a professional do the installation, but I want to learn so I know the installer is doing a good job. I will more than likely buy an OAK because of all the chatter on this site about the kit and how it effects air quality inside the home.

Last edited:
Noob here and attempting to learn. I would not know what an OAK looks like if it hit me over the head. About to purchase the Enviro M55 cast and now attempting to learn installation techniques. I will have a professional do the installation, but I want to learn so I know the installer is doing a good job. I will more than likely buy an OAK because of all the chatter on this site about the kit and how it effects air quality inside the home.

Yes they did.
The OAK[Outside air kit] was the long Silver tube towards the end of the video.
Brings in Outside air to help with combustion etc.

OAK inlet on the back of the stove is to the left and lower - the 2" pipe. The small screen installed at the end that is attached to the aluminum flex pipe is the OAK. I prefer my kit as it has a small hood along with a screen on the inlet - minimizes potential wind or moisture problems.

Exhaust venting is usually around 3" - the right pipe on the back of the stove. Rigid, double walled pipe specially designed for pellet.

The more you know the better prepared...

OAK inlet on the back of the stove is to the left and lower - the 2" pipe. The small screen installed at the end that is attached to the aluminum flex pipe is the OAK. I prefer my kit as it has a small hood along with a screen on the inlet - minimizes potential wind or moisture problems.

Exhaust venting is usually around 3" - the right pipe on the back of the stove. Rigid, double walled pipe specially designed for pellet.

The more you know the better prepared...
like this?
Air inlet under the flap..

Attachments

• IMG_1892.JPG
    IMG_1892.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 104
Mine is not integrated - separate from the exhaust set-up. Looks like a dryer vent but aluminum. It is on the west side of the house and generally gets more wind activity in the winter. Between the turbo cap on the exhaust and the hood on the OAK, no issues due to wind so far... likely would have seen something in 3 years if we were going to have problems. The stove dealer didn't figure we needed the OAK but I added it about 2 weeks later...

Mine is not integrated - separate from the exhaust set-up. Looks like a dryer vent but aluminum. It is on the west side of the house and generally gets more wind activity in the winter. Between the turbo cap on the exhaust and the hood on the OAK, no issues due to wind so far... likely would have seen something in 3 years if we were going to have problems. The stove dealer didn't figure we needed the OAK but I added it about 2 weeks later...
Because of the Inside corner of the house where we needed the stove,My Exhaust faces not only Northern winds, but wind from a lake 300 yards away.
Not a bit of problem so far with it this way. I really think the design of the Outside rig really helps with blocking Weather..

Attachments

• IMG_1737.JPG
    IMG_1737.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1841.JPG
    IMG_1841.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 86
Here's a few pictures of mine:

Before Installation:

OAK.jpg

After installation (inside view):

InsideOAK.jpg