In what units is draft measured and can you convert from meters/second to that unit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Hello all,

I'd like to get a true draft reading for my flue. I don't have a draft meter, but I do have a high end weather meter (Kestrel 4500) that measures wind speed (I measure wind speed in meters/second) quite accurately. Hoping I could get a m/s air movement reading from the flue and convert to whatever units are appropriate for draft. Thanks in advance!

NH_Wood said:
Hello all,

I'd like to get a true draft reading for my flue. I don't have a draft meter, but I do have a high end weather meter (Kestrel 4500) that measures wind speed (I measure wind speed in meters/second) quite accurately. Hoping I could get a m/s air movement reading from the flue and convert to whatever units are appropriate for draft. Thanks in advance!

This is great little conversion program for just about anything...Plus it is free with no ads or spyware.. I use this for work too..

http://joshmadison.com/software/convert-for-windows/

Ray

For those interested I found the answer. Draft measure in w.c. is a measure of pressure, not velocity. W.C. stands for Inches of Water Column and I assume is similar to mm/Mg for a measure of pressure. So, although my weather meter measures pressure, it is very sensitive (e.g. elevation hard to get exact), so I don't believe it is useful to attempt a conversion. Oh well - learned something! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.