Incorrect Chimney Installation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthernNJ

Feb 18, 2015
Northern NJ
Hello, I purchased a new wood stove (Englander NC-13) and opted to have the chimney professionally installed. The chimney runs out the wall and runs up the side of the house, through the sofit and through the roof. The installers did a hack job on the firestop under the sofit so I had them come back and correct it. They also used drywall screws on the finishing plate which really needed button head screws with wall anchors. Not a huge deal as its cosmetic stuff.

So I took a look into the wall thimble (Securite ASHT RSM 6) from inside the house and where it joins up with the "T" (Securite ASHT 6) there is an obvious lip inside where you can see insulation exposed. I would imagine this should be a clean unobstructed path so the flue gasses can pass with no resistance. The shop installers say this is normal. My common sense tells me otherwise and before I put my family at risk I am looking for a concrete answer. Any info would be greatly appreciated. thank you. Picture attached is taken from inside the house facing outside into the thimble. Please pay close attention to the 3 to 4 oclock region as it is where the issue lies.Thank you!!!

Attachments

• thimble.jpg
    thimble.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 229
Looks okay to me

I have no idea what you are worried about? Looks just fine.

Definitely not a problem with the install there. It is not the greatest fit on the pipe but the installer cant change that

Reactions: webby3650
Thank you for all the responses, I truly appreciate it. I only questioned it as there is a 1/8" to 1/4" gap where the 2 pipes mate. Isn't the idea to have a connection where there is a tight seal is created by the stainless steel pipes mating together and the insulation does it's job as an insulator and not a first line of defense against flue gasses and sparks? Won't creosote build up quicker when is has a "lip" to build on as the smoke passes by?

The gap and lip could be more the way the piping is designed and not a result of a sloppy install. There can be quite a difference between different company's pipe and fittings.

All Tee's and a lot of class A pipe will have joints just like you see. Tee's are hand made, not with machines like straight pieces of pipe. So with a combination of being hand made and all the radius pieces coming together in a very tight space some gaps are to be expected.

Thanks again for the advice. I did reach out to Security Chimneys and I am waiting on a response from their head tech. I am curious of their opinion as the manufacturer. Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

If your chimney drafts properly, flue gasses are not going to escape from there. The only thing that could happen is if there was a passage past the outer wall of pipe and the insulation, is air would be sucked "in" not out.

If your chimney drafts properly, flue gasses are not going to escape from there. The only thing that could happen is if there was a passage past the outer wall of pipe and the insulation, is air would be sucked "in" not out.

Which could in turn "cool" the flue gasses and lead to premature creosote buildup?

If the stove is burning good dry fuel and flue temps are warm enough this should not be an issue. Modern stoves run properly keep pretty clean flues. Fully seasoned wood is key here.

Status
Not open for further replies.