Incorrect Installment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

76ER

Nov 30, 2007
Southern Ontario
it has been brought to my attention in this forum that my stove has been installed incorrectly, so sure enough I went and did some measuring and it has indeed been installed wrong...the clearence from the top of the stove to the ceiling should be 58 inches minimum...mine is only 47 inches...what does a person do in this case? I did have a WETT installer do the work 3 yrs ago...should the installment be guaranteed?

76ER said:
it has been brought to my attention in this forum that my stove has been installed incorrectly, so sure enough I went and did some measuring and it has indeed been installed wrong...the clearence from the top of the stove to the ceiling should be 58 inches minimum...mine is only 47 inches...what does a person do in this case? I did have a WETT installer do the work 3 yrs ago...should the installment be guaranteed?

Foregoing the legalese (yah... right), did the building/NFP/ANSI code change within the last 3 years? In your state/locality, what are the licensing requirements and do they entail workmanship warranties? Do you have receipts and a list of items as per the install and what are your options as per remedies listed in the install contract?

Back in the early 90s I took a contractor to court, he counter sued, I won, he lost.

If he is a reputable dealer/retailer, talk to him and explain the problem. If he is willing to work with you then put you and your family at ease. If he balks, talk to your legal adverser and go from there.

Although I am good friends of several people who hang a Juris Prudice Shingle, sometimes I think 300 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean is a good start!

Good luck
Jim

Jim,
I have the bill of sale for the materials/chimney/stove, the WETT certificate number, the gentleman's name who is WETT certified on the bill of sale who did the work. The business I bought the stove and install from is a Canada wide company. I haven't talked to them yet as this problem only arose tonight. I am on there list for a chimney clean in the middle of January but I think that should be bumped up to a pronto inspection by them ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.