Increase hopper capacity?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoverwheel

Burning Hunk
Oct 18, 2013
USA
I have an older Envirofire EF2 pressed back into service.

It works well but I'd like a larger hopper.

How bad an idea is it to add 6" or so in height? That would increase the capacity to about eighty pounds. An open bottomed sheet metal box is fairly easy to make even with a lid.

Its done on Harmans but they are also sealed so air does not get into and through the stove and screwing up airflow. Was done on Countrysides too.

The hopper lid on this doesn't strike me as particularly well sealed to begin with.

Should I assume from your comment that if I try this I should make it some what airtight?

Just try and copy the current seal arrangement so you don't have issues latter.

Looking to make a hopper extention for my Englander 10-cpm. Anybody try yet. Trying to make it so the hopper extends out the back of stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.