Increase in Wood Pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scott6824

Feb 1, 2008
wisconsin
Southeastern Wi. anyone notice quit a increase in Wood Pellet prices.. last year it was 200 for 60 bags(1.2 tons ) this year prices are 200 for 1 ton (50 bags) this increase is quit substantial.. anyonelse hearing about increases in pellets.. thanks

There have been numerous articles written lately about a shortage in sawdust supply and the high cost of diesel affecting prices. A recent MSNBC article stated that pellet mills were paying $25 more per ton for the sawdust this year. My personal experience in north-central Maryland is a ton increased $10 from last year's price at this time. My dealer expressed amazement at how the mill had not raised rates due to the shipping. The people that are going to be affected more are the ones that live farther away from the mills.

I have seen a 4% increase in pellet pricing. Shipping is another story. The going rate for OTR shipping last season was $1.75 to $2.00 per mile. This year I have seen it $2.50 on up. If you are doing what I am doing it will be best to stock up early. I have around 500 tons on order for this summer. Eric

I was watching Ax Men last night and they were saying that people aren't buying the trees for lumber. If there isn't a market for lumber then they aren't making sawdust...

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
I was watching Ax Men last night and they were saying that people aren't buying the trees for lumber. If there isn't a market for lumber then they aren't making sawdust...

Matt

That mean they'll be changing things a bit......theres a mill in Strong Maine thats going online soon and is going to use whole trees and grind up their own.....

Status
Not open for further replies.