Increasing 27 ton splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtarbert

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2006
Maryland
I have a Troy bilt 27 ton splitter and it is painfully slow. Question.....If I change the engine to a 12 HP will it increase the speed of the cylinder?
.......Thanks Mike

My guess is that it's the pump and hydraulics that control cylinder speed. The HP rating determines how heavy a pump it'll turn.

Now it's time for someone who knows to speak up...

A bigger motor will help if you also put in a bigger pump.

If you're going to throw more HP and a bigger pump, you may want to support the end of the cylinder as well. Just with the slow factory setup of less HP and low psi pump, my cylinder couldn't hold itself together if your creating more pressure you could be faced with a major oil bath real quick. Cylinder trunion may snap quickly as well. Use caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.