Indecision over pellet or wood, insert or stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The weight of the bags shouldn't be too bad - 50+ here and find that the hauling and screening help keep muscle mass up :) (lifting weight is also good for bone density). If mobility issues already exist, should probably look at something that is less labor.

FWIW, I'll second (or third or fourth) the Santa Fe suggestion. I'm a very new pellet insert owner (installed only in March of this year) and our Santa Fe helped us get through a few weeks of issues without a temperamental oil furnace. I'll also echo that it's very easy to clean, e.g. taking the panels off as well as cleaning the ash tray. It'll warm up our 600 sqft. rec room in a snap. The only issues I have (and, believe me, they are minor) are: the burn pot cleaning lever can be a bit hard to pull out if not used for a while, e.g. if the ash builds up in the bottom (you'll want to use that lever at least once a day) and the fan is a tad loud on the medium setting. But other than that, the stove is a great value, one that I'm looking forward to using for years to come!

Reactions: Defiant
Dogs and stoves are a bad combination.
My cousin has a great dane that found the door handle on the Quad 1000 to be just right to scratch his butt on and he would end up opening the door.

The stove would shut down due to no vacuum in the firebox, and then leave the house cold.
:eek:

He ended up installing a safety catch to prevent Willie from pushing the door open while he scratched his rear.

Snowy

Now that's interesting about Willie because I never had a dog get too close to a wood stove but the pellets are putting out hot air like a furnace, so the stove is not that hot? I recommend rosemary to everyone that can grow it because that's what my smart dog scratches on and he always smells yummy!

So the best laid plans. Salesman came out and while I'm interested in the Santa Fe, they don't really sell quads. They're getting away from them. I guess they just have the pamphlets or they're trying to meet some incentive. Clueless. 2-3 days to get a repairman out in winter.

They made in clear I can special order anything they carry, but they want to sell what they have in the shop and while I understand I can buy what I want, I'm cheap. They have a Heatilator Ecochoice ps50 installed for $2400. They haven't run the Heatilator. I like the looks and the price but the reviews I could find are all over the place, making me think quality control is an issue.

They sell and run the Enviros in the shop. So the Mini or Meridian would be a good choice for size and I like the M55 steel looks/quality but its too big and we grow tumbleweeds here. I got the impression from my initial research that Quad was the way to go for pellet simplicity.

My insert idea is a lost cause as my damper is too narrow maybe 3" and long. So yes it is good I have all summer for this project. If summer is too hot I may end up with a gas pack on the roof luxuriating in AC. Thanks Jean

My dad got me into pellet burning stoves. He has a Lennox, the self cleaning kind, and it seems to have held up well. He lives in the Northeast. I got a Quad Fire Santa Fe stove. I live in Ohio.

He has an abundance of pellet selection. I am fairly limited. The dealer gets one big order in late summer, and that's his whole inventory. You need to pre-order and have the space to store it if you want to be guaranteed supply. Home depot here doesn't sell pellets, and Lowes, which used to get several types, now only stocks one, and this year they were sold out in March, perpetually waiting for restock. The Quad will burn corn, but I was told by the dealer to stay away from the local corn sources because they aren't dried well and it will jam the stove.

The guy who says a Santa Fe will feed all kinds of pellets is misleading you. They are fussy as to pellet size and amount of fines. One year I got a 40 lbs via craigslist from a local guy. They were a lot of small fragments and the stove pretty much burned through them on "high" setting, but would die out if you tried to run it on low or medium. I had to sieve them through a mesh sac before I could get the stove to handle them.

While it was under warranty, I felt like there was very poor support. Everything was "well, you'll have to have a tech come out, and it'll cost you $X for the service visit plus $Y for the labor if it turns out to be consumables/cleaning/normal wear". At least for me, they were unhelpful about providing documentation of the mechanical systems, and as for the control circuitry, it is strictly a "black box" that can't be debugged. Parts via the dealer-distributor channel were expensive. Gaskets, which as "consumable" and theoretically have to be changed whenever you do a disassembly-type cleaning will run you $100+.

Also, as it says as part of the annual maintenance, you'll need to touch up paint a few parts. That means disassembling the thing, so you can paint it with high-temp spray paint. If you don't do that every season, your fire-pot clean out will start jamming up, and you need to break it free, and have a wire wheel handy to refinish it. You don't want to neglect this, or the plate may not fully close on you one day, leading to fire in the ash pan.

Now, on the plus side, the stove is not so complicated that you can't figure out a few things on your own. But at some point you'll be reading about this-or-that snap disk that needs to be reset because your fire ran too hot, and you'll have no idea where it is on the stove from the literature they provide you.

Anyway, after my experience with this Santa Fe, I'll be getting a gas stove next time around, my father's advice be jiggered...

Status
Not open for further replies.